Trip Start Jul 26, 2012
16Trip End Aug 22, 2012
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Wildebeest, zebra, elephants, water buffalo, hippos, crocodiles, giraffes (and a two day old baby), lions and lionesses with cubs, leopards, cheetahs and cubs, black rhino, white rhino, hyrax, impala, kudu, eland, waterbuck, bushbuck, hartesbeest, baboons, monkeys, water monitors, green mamba snakes, grant gazelles, thomson gazelles, sables, oryx, warthogs, mongoose, striped hyenas, spotted hyenas, jackals, golden jackal, camels, hares, squirrels, dik-diks, bush babies, antelopes, chameleons, frogs, flamingoes, storks, vultures, eagles, pelicans, starlings, weaver birds, guinea fowls, hornbills, bustards, secretary birds, crowned cranes, ostriches ...
And all the others animals I'm sure I've forgotten. Many of these had young babies, some as young as two days (giraffe) and one week (elephants), plus cheetah cubs, lion cubs, baby zebras and the list goes on. Plus the hundreds of different varieties of birdlife and their incredible colours.
Then there are all the incredible adventures that we experienced all through our trip:
- Jumping off the cliff over Zambezi River on the gorge swing in Victoria Falls
- Walking with lions in Victoria Falls
- Chased by a rogue hippo on the Chobe River cruise in Botswana
- Elephants swimming across Chobe River
- Watching a leopard stalk in Botswana
- Blocked by an angry elephant stomping his feet, flapping his ears and trumpeting at us in Samburu
- Eyeballed by an irate water buffalo in Oj Pejeta
- Finding hippo prints on the beach in Lake Victoria
- Lioness resting by our vehicle tyre in Ngorongoro crater
- Delayed by 100 Masai warriers with spears protesting in the Mara and rocking vehicles
- Witnessing a wildebeest river crossing in the Mara
- Hot air ballooning over the Serengeti
- Freaked out by a poisonous green mamba snake on our patio in Zanzibar
- Enjoying a private candlelight barbeque on the beach in Zanzibar
- Seeing the snow-capped peak of Mt Kilimanjaro from the air.
We cannot look back at our adventure without sending a massive THANK YOU to Patrick, our incredible travel agent from African Encounter (firstname.lastname@example.org) who put together this whole experience for us. You thought of things we never could have, were patient with our many questions and answered our constant emails so quickly every time. Your professionalism and dedication to customer service and satisfaction were above and beyond what we could have hoped to to receive. We cannot sing your praises enough for what a wonderful job you did for us and recommend you high above all the rest. Other African specialists we contacted either didn't answer our emails or offered very little information or interest in our enquiry so your prompt and detailed service was greatly welcomed! Thank you for all your hard work - it is greatly appreciated.
Our whole time in Africa has been amazing. We have seen and experienced so much. We have been blown away by the friendliness and generosity of the African people. It is a land of such diversity - of desolation and fertility. A land where man and animals co-exist and respect each other. Where people in all their poverty and simplicity, know how to be happy and will do anything for you. Despite all our first-world technology and modernism, there is still so much that we can learn from these people who have so little.
I would go back in a heartbeat.