Disney World Day 8 & Universal Studios

Trip Start Mar 25, 2013
Trip End Apr 21, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Winnebago RV

Flag of United States  , Florida
Saturday, April 6, 2013

Disney World Day 8
Wake at Disney check out 6:30am
Drive to Universal Studios 20 min drive 7:30am
Universal Adventure Park  8am open 8am
***Call Camp Ground for late check in combo before 5pm ph 850 482 1228 res no 2-14092270
*** tolls 5hrs 20min = Florida Caverns sp paid 18/07/12  must be quiet on 11pm
Saturday 6th April - Universal Studios Island of Adventure

Universal Studios in Orlando has 2 theme parks - Universal Studios as well as Island of Adventure, we only had the time and money to go to the 1 park but it was the better of the two, a single days entry cost over $500, and to be honest I was pretty much over theme parks and crowds and was so looking forward to our road trip so 1 park was more than enough.
We arrived 1 minute before opening at 8:59am, it was a fluke we got there in time as we had intended to get there at 8:00am but our GPS kept sending us in a loop and just didn't know where to go so we wasted an hour trying to find parking. We were the only RV in the parking lot and we though perhaps it was going to be fairly quiet, well I must have been delusional because the crowds were nearly as large as DW.
Anyway we had Express Passes which like Disney world needed to bought in advance to get then otherwise you just have to line up for hours for all attractions, so that was lucky that Wendy had done such an amazing job in planning this holiday to absolute perfection, she researched everything and was fully prepared. We got through the gates after the standard bag search ( this happens everywhere now - all due to 911 ) and then scanned our bar coded tickets and scanned our fingerprint which is then associated to our tickets, again the scanning of fingers happens at all major theme parks to stop someone else using your ticket in case it gets lost - so you can be assured that you can always get another ticket just in case.
In we went and straight away we headed over to Harry Potter World which is the most popular attraction, they say if you don't get in the line by 10:00am you will miss out, and there was no express line for this ride so we lines up with another 1000 people for 75 minutes. But i tell you what the setup and design was absolutely mind blowing, walking through this massive old castle and the inside was just incredible, mind you this was all just the lead up for a ride of your lifetime. Wendy and Lilia chose not to go on the ride due to the potential for motion sickness, but Jack and I were eager to get going and it was most definitely the best ride so far, the ride took us on a virtual roller coaster where we were flying a broomstick following closely behind Harry Potter, we went through the castle, had fights with dragons, just escaped falling towers and so much more i just cannot begin to explain it like it happened, I was only able to take my camera so far and had to give it to Wendy just before we started the ride.
It was really so amazing.
After this we went on the griffodor Harry Potter roller coaster which Lilia loved , it was medium in scare / thrills then we had some brunch, hamburgers and chips - pretty much the most commonly available food anywhere, i had another cup of the most awful coffee too which was really nice - NOT - god knows how they can drink the stuff, very few places sell good coffee of Cappuccino's.
When we finished eating we went to a ride called Jurassic Park, which was another ride where were were going to get possibly definitely soaked as the attendant pointed out, there was no chance of staying dry, Lilia didn't want to go but we convinced her it would be OK, she didn't want to get wet, even though she can spend 3 weeks in a pool in the middle of winter - go figure?
We went to try and go on more rides we had earmarked but there were limitations such as height restrictions and ridiculous waiting times so we just had to pass, but finally after walking around and enjoying the shops and watching others ride the attractions we couldn't do we saw the mother of all roller coasters, I just had to go on this. It was called the Hulk and it was just incredible - just wait until you see the photos, it's enough to scare the crap out of you just by looking. Well Jack wasn't keen on this at all and I was prepared to go it alone, but after some gentle persuasion i convinced him he would be ok, luckily his hair was sticking up and he was able to pass the height limit. I did feel terrible as I could see the fear in the poor buggers face but kept reassuring him that it would be so fat that when it go around the 4 upside down loops that he wouldn't fall out due to the G-force pulling you in to the seat - i was right. I was supposed to take my glasses off but forgot, i was also holding on to Jack with one hand as i was so worried about him. The ride was the fastest and most exhilarating ride i have ever experienced and was just amazing, Jack did enjoy it as he was screaming ( good screams ) the whole time, despite saying he wanted to cry when he had finished but he was actually all good and I think it was just the unknown and all the anticipation and anxiety he built up when lining up. 
It was now about 12:00pm and we had actually done enough which meant we could exit the park after a few more souvenirs and get started on our road trip - whoohoo!

We had a 5 hour drive ahead of us and had planned to get to Florida State Caverns National Park at 5pm, there was a time difference of an hour were hadn't accounted for and as such arrived at 9:00pm. We knew we were going to be late as within 30 minutes of getting onto the Interstate Highway 10 West there was the most incredible traffic jam which took us well over an hour to pass, it turns out there was an accident on both side of the highway, although we did only see the accident on the other side of the road and sadly it was an RV very similar to what we had, it had run of the rode and was on upside down squashed, it looks awful and we took this as notice to take it easy and drive as safely as possible. Regardless of how safely i drove the Americans are shocking drivers, they speed well over 20 miles per hour above the speed limit, they seem to had absolutely no courtesy on the roads, so much so that 1 drive just decided to slam on his breaks after deciding to turn, no indicator nothing, this was when we got to test the brakes, and i was able to pull up just in time despite things going everywhere in the cabin, yet again another reminder to take it easy even if it means getting to our destination late.
The speed limits on the I10 are 70 miles per hour which is the same as 100K, so were were certainly moving and trying to keep such a large RV in the middle of a road that extends about 10 inches either side of our mirrors was hard enough, there is the constant need to correct form wind etc and each time fatigue plays a major part as the roads are just so long and straight, massive concentration is needed and you need to be so alert as people will cut in front of you causing you to have to break constantly
We had a few stops a long the way as we needed to just to stay alert and we were not going to drive recklessly no matter how late we arrived. We finally had to pull over for some dinner and chose one of the hundreds of take away places to choose from, this time we stopped at Wendy's for, guess what, Hamburgers you guessed it, but they were so nice we have to stop there again, unless i get to stop at a dunkin dough nuts that is, or Denny's or Top 50 ok you get the idea we could eat take out for ever here, perhaps that why there is such an obesity problem here? The most amazing thing was to see the most gorgeous black cats - they were stray but looked to be very well looked after, it turned out there were 9 black cats in this little family and then two Tabby's joined in, so we shared a little chicken and meat patties with them and the 11 of them guts it up no worries, we got some photos but they were a little too timid to be approached, but it was quite an amazing site to see 9 black cats sitting around our RV with us having dinner, the kids were thrilled.

It was now about 6:00pm and we had another few hours to go until we arrived at our campsite, we finally got there at around 9pm, by which time the front gate had closed hours ago but Wendy in all her wisdom had prearranged for a PIN number to allow us to gain entry to the park, we then drove through the most beautiful forest for about 5 minutes to get to the hookup location. After a few minutes the kids were already asleep - even though they had a few hours sleep in the RV whilst driving they were obviously just work out as it had been pretty full on up till now.
I couldn't get to sleep and went outside at 2:00am, but something made me feel really nervous like there was a big grizzly bear about to eat me so i headed straight back inside - it was getting pretty cool ow too. 
It was to be an early start tomorrow as we were going to go on a Cave Tour which were were told you need to book by 7:30 to get spots, this means another early morning.

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


glenrae on

You may not get online before you start travelling west, but have a safe trip and enjoy every moment. Hope you enjoyed Cape Kennedy, did you remember it from 1981? Ross and I went again in 1999, it is amazing isn't it?
Luv to you all. xxxxoooo

shmiko on

It sure was great Mum, I don't remember it but was just as excited to see it
again, we didn't do the tour to the launch pads as it took 3 hours return and cost
a small fortune. You'll see I have just update for our NO late afternoon arrival.
Hope all is well for you and Ross. Love you.

glenrae on

Great to hear from you darling, all good here - so excited to read your blog too, it is like we are with you. Stay safe and please get enough sleep for driving tomorrow. LU all so much. xxxxoooo

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: