Chobe National Park

Trip Start Jan 04, 2008
Trip End Dec 17, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Botswana  ,
Thursday, July 3, 2008

The crossing from Zambia to Botswana was across the Zambeze river on a small ferry and could have taken up to 7 hours but luckily Sammy and Julius elected to pay a bribe of $25 to the guys at the border crossing.   We were across in about an hour having gone through the usual border formalities and been stamped out of Zambia and into Botswana.
That evening we camped in Kasane just outside Chobe National Park.  After the luxury of the hot showers at the Vic Falls campsite  the cold showers here were a bit of a shock to the system.  We had our first dinner as a group and a few drinks with our new friends.  Some of the guys that were heading to Jo'burg were also at the same campsite so we had a few more beers with them.  The next morning we had a sunrise game drive and Sammy wasn't joking when he said that it would be %^$&ing freezing. Thankfully most of us had taken his advice and took our sleeping bags with us as our transport was an open sided jeep.  Looking like a hoard of giant caterpillars we headed off into the dark.  It turned out that we were in the same section of Chobe National Park that we had been in 3 years before but this time we really didn't see much at all. Having been truly spoilt in the Masai Mara and Serengetti for wildlife most of us that had been there wished that we had stayed in bed. 
We headed back to the campsite for about 9am and found that Sammy and Julius had rustled up a full English breakfast for us and by the time we had finished the last pieces of toast we had all warmed back up.  Later in the morning we headed into the town of Kasane and proceeded to buy some fleece blankets as the nights were only going to get colder from now on.  I hadn't envisaged Africa to be so cold and so had sent all my thick coats back in a box from Singapore.  Fortunately I found that Botswana has it's fair share of fake goods so managed to buy a "Nike" puffer jacket for $6.
Later that afternoon it was time for another trip to Chobe but this time on the river.  As we arrived at the boat dock we once again had that déjà vu feeling as we found ourselves boarding the same boat that we had been on 3 years earlier.  Thankfully this time the wildlife was out in force.  We even had the fabulous treat of seeing a family of elephants swim across the river right in front of us which was amazing.  After sunset we headed back to the campsite for dinner and an early night as we had a long day of driving ahead of us the next day.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: