Masai Mara Reserve

Trip Start Oct 24, 2012
Trip End Nov 19, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Kenya  ,
Sunday, November 4, 2012

Having arrived in the Masai Mara after a full day of driving, we were quite excited about going up in a hot air ballon the next morning. I dont think I expected to see the amount of wildlife that we did.

After setting off in 2 x 4 wheel drives, we were only 5 minutes up the road when we came across a few giraffe sitting down along side the road having a sleep. Another few minutes along the track we had to stop for a Lion chasing off a pack of lioness'.. he didnt appear overly happy that we were there either! We were quite shocked that within 10 minutes we had already seen great animals!

The hot air balloon was something else. We were unaware that they wilderbeast were still migrating to the Serengeti, so beneath us, there were hundreds and hundreds of zebra and wilderbeast making the voyage. We also saw lots of elephants, impala, buffalo, warthogs and the best part... a lioness eating a freshly killed wilderbeast. We were in the air for well over an hour and covered about 20km of the reserve. Awaiting at the other end was a champagne breakfast. The setting was surreal. There were animals all around us..

We set off in some open side/topped jeeps on the remainder of the game drive. After seeing a pack of 6 lioness' we came across a massive lion sitting on top a a freshly killed wilderbeast. He didnt seem to care that we were parked next to him.... literally 2m from him. He continues to lick the beast (softens the skin apparently).. then got up and started clearing the area of leaves and twigs so he could spend the rest of the day sleeping after he had eaten. We spent a good 15-20 minutes just watching him.

Pretty much by lunchtime we had seen all of the animals apart from a Leopard and Rhino!.  I couldnt believe the amount of game. No matter where you looked you could see an animal of some sort.

We met back up with the safari truck and the people that didnt go ballooning. They had just seen a leopard and 2 cubs... but hadnt seen the volume of animals that we had. We spent the remainder of the afternoon in the park... 11 hours in total!

The entire day was amazing! I had taken around 900 photos for the day and had a nice dose of sunburn!

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: