Packing it in..

Trip Start Jan 03, 2010
Trip End Jan 28, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Rustic Lodge

Flag of Costa Rica  , Province of Guanacaste,
Friday, January 15, 2010

We woke up early because we wanted to pack the day to make up for our crappy weather days. We got up and had breakfast at the hotel (the only time we woke up early enough) and had a shuttle pick us up to take us to the Original Canopy tour.

There were several canopy tours but "there is only one original" and we saw that Jimmy Carter took the same tour.   I'm kind of mentally challenged.  If it were pretty much any famous person that took the zip line I wouldn’t want to go on it, but Jimmy Carter?  That’s pretty rad…  Also if Paul Reubens or Mr. T took the zip line, I’d be all over that shit…

The rain was holding out. - just a little mist to deal with.   We got outfitted with our harnesses and had to wear hard hats.  Super sexy.  There was a group of college students from New York and New Jersey that were added to our trip.  I will refrain from elaborating on my lack of fondness for Americans whilst travelling or otherwise….

They started out with a Tarzan swing.  They put you up on a high pedestal and launch you across the forest.  It’s a very large swing and the bigger you are, the farther you go.

One of the New Jersey guys squealed like a little girl and that made Sheena laugh pretty hard.  His college buddies made fun of him for the rest of the trip.

We had gone on a tour the day before and the guide talked about the heavy winds affecting the large trees.  They get heavy with other plants growing on them and they start to topple.  The winds were picking up and the stands at the ends of the lines would wobble quite a bit, but the guides were super professional and safety was always checked and then double checked.

The zip lines were surprisingly fun. The wet cables made for some fast travel and Sheena was not at good at using her arms for breaking.  Luckily she is small so they could catch her when she came barreling in.

Here is a link to a short clip of what the zipline was like:

Okay.. Andy just fell asleep writing this so I can tell you how much fun Andy had at zip lining since he was down playing it. He was so happy zipping from one line to another like the gorilla he is! We got to climb in one of the hollow trees to get to one of the zip lines. There was this one part where you had to descend straight down.  I asked for the slower version so they pulled my rope slightly more at an angle. Andy on the other hand got the fast version and he tried to slow himself down with his leather gloves, but he was going so fast there was smoke coming from his gloves when he landed!

We managed to grab a quick bite to eat and around 3pm we went on our next tour of the coffee and sugar cane plantation at El something. It was one of the most informative tours we ever took. We learned all about the different grades of coffee, how they processed the sugar cane, tilapia farming, the difference between plantains and banana plants.

The guy who picked us up was the same guy who gave us the tour.  We later found out that the farm was his family’s and we got to meet his father, mother, and brother who all worked there as well.  Costa Ricans are really family oriented people and you often find parents hanging out with their kids and vice versa.

The best part of the tour was when they poured you a large pan full of molasses sugar cane and you got to mix in toppings of your choice to make candy! Andy kept making fun and saying the giant brownish wad looked like poop. He kept trying to get a picture of me sitting over it….so childish. I later found him taking several pictures of the “wad” laying it this way and that to make it look impressive. You would think it was like some sort of treasure that he found.

Later that night was scrambled to the bat museum only to find out that the bats had gone to sleep because they turn their hours upside down so that they will be awake for the publics viewing pleasures in the morning.  Oh well then, the next thing on the list was the serpentine museum. Since it was nighttime, most of the snakes were asleep, but we did manage to see the famous poison dart frog, which we learned was no bigger then the size of a quarter! We also managed to see this other well known light green colored frog which was maybe the size of a silver dollar. No wonder I didn’t see any of frogs in the forest, I was looking for these big green bouncy things to hop along…I wasn’t on the look out for anything the size of a popcorn shrimp! But I have to say, I really would not have seen any of these snakes, frogs, and any animal in the forest even if they were sitting there and staring at me.  They fit in so well with their natural surroundings that you’d never even notice them.

We headed out that night for Spanish Tapa dishes…some were great, others were hit and miss. But over all, we had such an exciting day that was all we could think about! I didn’t even notice the loud rumble of the rain in our room when we fell asleep.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: