Getting there

Trip Start May 06, 2008
Trip End Jun 06, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of India  , Mahārāshtra,
Wednesday, May 7, 2008

“The use of traveling is to regulate imagination by reality, and instead of thinking how things may be, to see them as they are.” – Samuel Johnson

Day 0 -
1: (read – zero minus one): 6th May 2008 (Tuesday) Mad dash to Mumbai

So there I was, packed and ready to embark on another adventure, hoping against hope I had packed everything I needed and read everything I needed to know. As always, I had a nagging feeling I was forgetting something, and knew, from experience, it would reveal itself to me soon enough, as always. The driver picked me, Ruth and Ali and headed to Glynis and Ashoks, where luggage was stored and passengers quickly loaded. Next, Godwin's place. We were running late. As always. And as is always the case, it was a mad dash to the airport, the driver racing maniacally against the clock to get us there in time.

Ali was sad to see us go, but the promises of Turkish Delight and fairy wings kept her upbeat as we quickly said our goodbyes and rushed to check-in. We made it, whew, and it was only when we were lined up to get through security that we realized we had the wrong boarding passes. Ashok and Godwin gallantly volunteered to run back to Terminal 1 to fix the error and soon we were through security and on our way! Yay! Flight was on time, and in short order we were at Mumbai’s swanky new domestic terminal, quite an improvement from the old, shabby one…

We said goodbye to Glynis and Ashok, who were spending the night at their cousins, and headed outside to the car and driver waiting for us. Then it was a quick ride to Farhat’s office where we waited in the cafeteria for her to finish work and head to her apartment. I lost the stylus to my phone somewhere in her office building and couldn't find it for the life of me. There was no way I was leaving without it, and no a toothpick wouldn't do. She knew I wouldn't let it rest till she had tried her darnedest to get me one. So on the way to her place, she took us to the railway station where there were tons of tiny kiosks selling everything mobile. I found a stylus that would do. Not perfect but then you know what they say about beggars and all. Onward to her apartment. Good home-cooked food, old friends, lots of laughs. Travel day tomorrow.

Steps walked: 773

Day 0 : 7th May 2008 (Wednesday) Getting there

We had a morning flight to London via Dubai on Emirates. We left Farhat’s apartment at around 6am (an ungodly hour as far as I’m unconcerned but then again, I am not a morning person). The driver dropped us off at the Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport where the airport assistant escorted us to the Emirates check-in counter and took care of our baggage, boarding cards, etc. The flight to Dubai was about 3 hours, breakfast was mediocre. We had a 3 hour layover in Dubai. We really like the Dubai Duty Free, so we shopped a little, but mostly browsed the stores as we would be passing through on our way back.

The 3 hours flew by quickly and it was time to board the 777 for our 7.5 hour flight to London. This plane has individual monitors with lots of movies and tv shows to choose from, and the best part was the AVOD (Audio Video On Demand), much better than the old loop style. The movie selection left a lot to be desired though but with lack of anything better to do, we ended up watching about 4 movies each. The meals were forgettable, but washed down well with some red wine;)

Ashok and Glynis had taken a slightly earlier flight with Kuwait Airlines, and were scheduled to arrive at London Heathrow before us. The plan was they were to wait for us, and then we would make our way to Bunga's place. Bunga let us know though (sweet, kind Bunga) that Sanjiv would be picking the four of us up at the airport. The flight was on time, and we deplaned pretty quickly. The immigrations hall wasn't very busy and we didn't take too long to get to the luggage carousel. As we waited for our bags, I watched a little boy, toddler, so excited to see the suitcases go by. He kept asking his Dad which one was his. So cute. Anyway, our bags arrived, and we walked out to the arrivals hall, one piece of wheeled baggage and one backpack each. There, grinning away were Ashok, Glynis and Sanjiv. It was so good to see some familiar faces.

We walked out to Sanjiv's car in the parking lot and were told today was the sunniest its been a long time. London, and sunny... We brought the sunshine with us... The drive to Northolt was a short one, and there was Bunga, baby bump and all! And whats that aroma?? Chocolate cake!!! Glynis was in heaven:)

We sat around, talked, ate (Sanjiv brought out the bbq grill in the backyard). Bunga's got a lovely house with an even lovelier (is that even a word?) backyard. And a gym (now it was Godwin's turn to be in heaven!)

I hadn't slept much the previous night nor the flight so I was getting ready to crash anytime. Tomorrow was a long day. We were in London. And it almost felt like we were still home.

Steps walked: 4278
Slideshow Report as Spam
Where I stayed
Farhat's place
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: