Wonky houses, wonky legs. Again

Trip Start Mar 06, 2009
Trip End May 07, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
a freaking houseboat

Flag of Netherlands  ,
Saturday, March 7, 2009

Amsterdam 6th-7th March

Shane says: It was great to be back in Amsterdam, it really is one of the most beautiful cities in the world (and the most expensive to rent in) We walked to our houseboat, which was an effort as our bags were freaking heavy. Our room wasn't ready yet so we dropped off our gear and headed for Chinatown, one of our favourite areas in the city. After having a few pints, we walked through the red light district, chuckling at some of the ladies in the windows that were talking on their mobile phones while their g strings were sitting about half way down their butts.

We purchased a joint and kept strolling around, smoking it along the way, it is certainly a weird situation to see a cop and not throw the joint away like you would in Melbourne. He just looked straight through us, not even noticing it, but why would he? Too weird. After our very, VERY leisurely stroll we ventured into a smart shop. Those of you who have read our first blog (or visited Amsterdam yourselves) would know that smart shops are the place to legally buy magic mushrooms in Amsterdam, but since they are now illegal (which nearly made me cry when I found out) they circumvent the law by selling magic truffles and herbal pills. We purchased a packet of each. I'm told that the herbal pills are similar to that which are sold legally in New Zealand, a mixture of guarana and other natural substances which create a feeling similar to that of mushrooms and ecstasy pills. We had the pills and went to a few bars, and around 7pm we found ourselves in a really cool Thai bar, photos of the Thai King and Queen adorned the walls and we had another drink but we were feeling a bit funny (it seems the pills come on in waves) so we walked home, the cold air making the pills kick in one last time, where they stayed for the next 8 hours.

I think the captain of the boat was on something because he was talking gibberish, but to me that seemed like the least of his troubles as his whole face was changing colour to the beat of the music, he didn't seem to notice. So this gibberish talking rainbow coloured captain took us down to our room, which was smaller than most toilets and I sat there, the pills fulling kicking in, Milli trying to sleep because she wasn't feeling the best and me professing my love for everything. I was having the time of my life watching the slats from Milli's bunk above me change colour and of course I had to pee every five minutes (bladder the size of a walnut) because I had drunk so much liquid that day - this involved a walk up the hall to the bathrooms on soggy carpet, a wave of panic hitting me as I though perhaps we were sinking, but it was just wet from the showers.

I talked crap to an unconscious Milli for the next few hours and thinking sleep would never come. I was finally closing my eyes as the first sliver of daylight was peaking through our portside window. I had to wake up at 8am to fly to Scotland. Ugh.

Milli says:
Yes it was great to come to Amsterdam again, especially after our long trip on the train and then Russia! We were excited to be in Europe again and somewhere to enjoy even just for a night. Our captain of the hostel really had a strong Dutch accent so that made it difficult to understand him but we dropped off our stuff as we understood the room wasn't ready yet. The first bar we went to the guy there said I looked Dutch - and I realised I did get that a lot in South East Asia, must be the tall and the blonde or something! So I strutted proudly around scoffing at all the 'tourists' walking past - including Shane. Both the first bar and another later in the night had a cat, and now that I think about it last time we came there was a cat at another bar we drank at too! I love it! We did giggle about the girls in their red rooms, most of them perhaps trying to act wanted and really busy on their mobiles making big deals or some such, and the large groups of guys wandering around appeared impressed. We were happy to have a falafel wrap and chips after so much time trying to eat around the piles of meat Russians throw on everyone's plates. Upon returning to the houseboat I took a sea sickness tablet which did help but the herbal pills kept me awake quite a while and I also had to pee quite a lot. I only remember Shane peeing once but I traipsed up to the tiny toilets often that night and also thought the soggy end of the hall meant we were sinking. When I woke up it was a gorgeous blue sky and fresh bright sun and I looked happily out our little manhole/window thing. Then we packed up and had to carry everything to the train and I wasn't so happy.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: