We jumped off a mountain

Trip Start Oct 20, 2008
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Turkey  , Turkish Aegean Coast,
Thursday, September 20, 2012

We woke up early, grabbed breakfast on the terrace, and were picked up by a large Sky Sports van.  Along the way, the van picked up the owner of Sky Sports, who was holding a whole handle of Jack Daniels and pretending to be drunk.  (Real confidence-inspiring!)  After driving a little bit, we stopped in front of a doctors office and a man on a bicycle rode up and took the bottle of JD from the Sky Sports owner (shady!).  We would later find out that the man on the bike was a doctor who was good friends with the owner of Sky Sports.

We were taken to the Sky Sports office in Oludeniz and were lucky to get a spot on the 9am "flight" as opposed to 11am because of a cancellation.  There were 16 of us who were driven up Babadag -- the area's largest mountain -- including an 8 year old Australian girl!  The drive up the mountain took at least 30-45 minutes and was harrowing in a few areas (small road, big mountain)
We exited the minibus and found ourselves standing at the top of the very tall Babadag Mountain (1,969 metres high, or 6,460 feet).  After being strapped in to our equipment (and strapped in to our pilots as well), it was time to run and jump off the mountain.

Katie went first.  The instructions were to wait for the big parachute to inflate, walk a little, pause, and then run together to the edge of the mountain while the wind picks you up.  Katie had a false start due to the wind, which was scary, but no time to think about it because a few minutes later they ran again to the edge of the mountain, and off they went, jumping into the sky!  Shaan and his pilot followed shortly thereafter.  

It was a delightful 30-45 minutes descent down the side of the mountain, with views of the land, valleys, and sea below.  We got to take pictures and at one point our pilots got us quite close to each other so we could talk!  They also did stunts with us which involved spiraling downwards generating g-force similar to that of a roller coaster.

Thankfully we landed quite easily on the ground (landing strip right near the water) and after catching our breath, had a nice Turkish lunch (meat and veggie kebab wraps).  We got to dip our feet in the "Turkish Riviera" which had a VERY pebbly coast in lieu of sand, ate some iced coffee ice cream, and hopped a dolmus (minibus) back to Fethiye.

The dolmus dropped us in a totally new part of Fethiye, but using our navigation skillz we were able to find our way back to the hotel.  We got to swim again (Katie did at least), use the hotel's showers, re-pack, and then we headed to the airport for our flight to Istanbul!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: