Back in the USA

Trip Start Oct 16, 2007
Trip End May 09, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Quito hotel

Flag of United States  ,
Monday, March 24, 2008

We left our Quito hotel at an ungodly 4am in the morning to catch our 6:25am flight to Miami.  After we got to the airport, our flight was then delayed ~4 hours, ARRGH!  No surprise, we also ended up missing our connecting flight from Miami to Los Angeles, ARRGH!  However, we were relieved that AA got us onto another flight, directly to San Francisco, whew!  After arriving in San Francisco at midnight, we discovered that AA lost our luggage, ARRGH!  After flying around the world for 5 months on at least 20 flight segments, how ironic that we finally lose our luggage when we return to the USA!  Go figure!

We're very sad to end the international portion of our trip.  In fact, Frank is still in denial.  But we couldn't extend our trip any more as I had some pressing home owner issues to deal with.  So we had to return to Seattle at least for a few days to deal with the real world, and to especially give my sister a break from taking care of my home problems.   Thanks Midi!  And then we will be continuing on to Hawaii , to recover from our vacation.
So why did we fly into San Francisco instead of Seattle?  Well, we needed to pick up Frank's car and remaining stuff that has been in storage the last few years.  Amazingly his trusty Honda Civic fired up OK after not being driven for several months.  If we had more time, we hoped to drive the long way to Seattle and stop by several national parks along the way.  Guess the national parks will need to be in a future trip (and blog!).  We need to make it from San Francisco to Seattle in less than 3 days to make our appointment on Friday, so there is no time to do much sightseeing!

The drive was a blur and not very exciting,  but here's a short recap:
Tues: Picked up Frank's car, went to storage, took a car load to the dump, got car checked out/oil change, met with a friend in SF while waiting for luggage.  Luggage was finally delivered to the hotel at dinnertime, and we left SF at 7pm. Stayed overnight in Ukiah, CA.

Wed:  Frank drove a whopping 500 miles today.  It was pouring rain so we only caught a glimpse of the Redwood giants and the southern Oregon coast.  I started to get really sick and slept the entire drive.  We made it to Eugene for the night.

Thurs: I was still sick, and we drove straight up I-5, arriving in Seattle at 3:30pm!  First stop was a doctor's office where I found out I had Type A influenza.   Yuck!  We made it back in time for our appointment, though not in the greatest shape. 

We still haven't quite adjusted to being in the USA, and Frank's still in denial on being back.  We hope to get readjusted in Hawaii soon!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: