Bye Bye NZ!
Trip Start Oct 16, 2007
83Trip End May 09, 2008
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
- Kea birds tramping on the roof of our RV in Fiordland National Park.
- Frank cooking his experimental 'chicken noodle soup with apples' dish (not recommended).
- The whole cupboard full of dishes crashing down as Frank turned a corner. Lesson learned: securely close cupboard before driving.
- Waiting to long to go to a dump station, and having grey water gurgle up through your shower drain (Yes it was really really gross).
- Running the engine while taking a shower as the battery would die on us
- Best holiday park spot - Matauri Bay Holiday Park, right next to an awesome beach.
- Worst holiday park - Opononi facilities were not good, though Frank thinks the one in Bulls was pretty bad too.
We caught a cab into town to our backpacker in the heart of downtown Auckland, near Queen Street. Frank was in city shock. Although I had a great time in the RV, it sure felt cramped at times, and I felt a bit happy to have more space! We didn't do much in Auckland since we were carless. We just walked around and I did a lot of window shopping. We walked by the Sky Tower, which reminded us a little of Seattle's Space Needle (not in form factor, but just how it defines a city skyline). There were some people sky-jumping down the Tower, 192m. It somehow didn't seem as exciting as bungy jumping, maybe because they secured your fall between two lines to keep you from crashing into nearby buildings.
So we left NZ, so sad to go, boo hoo. Frank would've loved to just turn around and drive back to South Island (for his 3rd time) but guess he will have to come back yet another time. NZ was definitely one of the favorite and most beautiful places we've been to so far on our trip.