Going to the islands

Trip Start Oct 20, 2008
Trip End Feb 08, 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of French Polynesia  , Society Islands,
Thursday, December 4, 2008

off to the island for 2 days.

Arrived on time after a pleasant 30min plane ride. Waited for my hotel to come and pick me up but didnt happen and had to hitch hike through 4 different hotels (I couldnt rember the name of my hotel but new it was less than 2km from te airport, hehe). Arrived and got my beachcabin for a little less that 30euros a night so was pretty happy. I arrived a dusk and as such didnt do much that evening just hanged around my beach cabin rationning my watermelon that I bought as food for the 2 days...lol. Next day woke up early (seeing I went to bed early) asked the receptionist if there were any tours on pirogue and he called around and organised it for 9am.

Got picked up with 2 couples of french and were off aroud the island by pirogue. PAst infront a luxury hotel with bungalows on the water (600euros the night). Saw a small island entirely owned by a Corsican familly. Past under the longest bridge in polynesia (100m) and saw a giant, sacred, dick. LOL. When the guide showed it to us from afar, one of the french dudes said something along the lines of; Wow thats big, and the uide quickly followed on with; it gets bigger as we get closer. Lauds of laughs hehe. Then we stopped near a Motu (sandbank) and had a snorkeling session, with the two french girls hardly knowing how to swim and as such needing floaty thingies around their waists... quite pathetic but not here to judge. anyway saw loads of crazy fish, the coral wasnt as bright and colourful as I thought but was still very nice. Then we went off to the only pearl farm of the island and after a rapid explanation of the process we were shown into the sales shop.hehe. We didnt stay long as we were all hungry so set off for another Motu.

Arriving at the end of a Motu we were greated by a joly polynesian and his picnic tables under the palmtrees. The guide prepared some tahitian style tuna. Which resembles much the Ceviche in south america (see entry 1 or 2). It is basically raw tuna mixed with onions, tomato and cucumber and soaked in cocanut milk (extracted from grated coconut). Very nice. Along with some chicken and rice and salad. Seeing I only had a quarter watermelon waiting for me and I still had the vening and next day lunch to go through I litterally stuffed my face and felt very full. No food was wasted as the dogs at the chicken bones (we told him it wasnt good for the dogs, that they could choke  but here the dogs dont mind), the fish also were given chicken bones and there was a relatively large trunked tree and in the trunk was a multitude of big crabes and they were given all the fruit skins and also some meat (the guy plucks out some crabs to eat from time to time, which explains why he gives them food) I ate soo much and felt quite ackward and as such sat in the lagon admiring the scenary for a good 30min before I thought about moving again.

After having a swim aroud the motu, where thousands of fish were 'chilling', we set off around the southern island. We headed strait back north near our departure to go visit the 'aquarium'. Upon our arrival a sturdy bald frenchman in a wetsuite greated us and invited us aboard his platform boat. From the platform we could already admire a multitude of colourful fish (he said there were about 30 different species infront of us). There were no barriers or fences closing off the 'aquarium' from the rest of the lagon and as such teh appelation is solely imaginary. After explaining that we should not touch the sharks and stay behind a rope that was in the water we all jumped in... all? no the french girls stayed on board after hearing (and seeing) that there were going to be over 20 blacktip sharks ranging anywhere between 1m and 1m80 in with us. We jumped in the waist high waters and started watching the crazy frenchman surrounded by 2O odd sharks. He had all the fish in a floating bucket and would grab a slab and throw it somewhere in the water or set it down on the coral next to us or just plainly keep it in his hand to feed the sharks. We observed the safety rules, i.e. dont touch and dont cross line, but the sharks didnt seem to be informed about these rules.hehe and I turned around a few times to find 4 or 5 sharks swiming 30cm away from my feet. And a bit later one brushed past me, after having quickly changed angle since he was headed strait for me before. Nevertheless we all felt very safe and the girls finally came in after 10 min and seeing that we were all still alive. I was in such confidence that I actually took my head out of the water a few times to remove the water in the mask, even taking time to readjust the mask (whilst the sharks, same size as me were swimming alll around... hehe). Honestly you do this once and your fear of sharks is immediatly reduced, I mean even the girls came in and eventhough not really reassured, they still felt confidence.

After this we headed back, got dropped off at the hotel. I ate my quarter of watermelon for dinner and went to bed early again. Next day woke up went to buy my plane ticket for that afternoon and then went around the northern part of the island by bike. Saw a few archiological sites, were special rituals were performed. Not much left of them and not a bit as grandiose as the Incans but they bear their own story of the people and society here in the islands. The bike started playing up due to lake of maintenance and the neveroiled chain unrailed every 200m at first and gradually progressed to a staggering derailing every 20m at the end and after the 50th derailling, the relaxation and serenity that this island had offered me, all gave way to fustration and anger (it was raining) and I pushed the bike back for half a km and left it at the airport and just walked the remainder 2km on the beach (telling te guys of the hotel to go and pick up their f*cking bike were I had left it). Had lunch at the hotel (raw fish but this time a mix between polynesian and asian style - with a slightly sweat soja sauce as accompagnement) headed off to the airport and waited at the bar for the plane which was half and hour late. In the plane we got an anoucement whereby the suual free fruit juice wasn going to be served due to the weather - the weather in teh plane was fine but hey...

Got to tahiti at 18h, didnt want to disturb Julien to come and pick me up so started walking along the road trying to catch a ride but all I caught was a mumbled sign of gratitude of an old man who I helped carry his 15kilos of fish his was taking home. I followed the ring road of the island until the road that goes up to the home, dreading the thought of having to walk up and weighing the possibilities of rain outbursts but as I arrived on the road turnoff I saw a car slowing to turn up, I quickly throw my thumb out and the car immediatly stopped and offered a ride. Wow I thought, it couldnt be better, hehe. Got in started chatting to the 3rd generation asian origin girl, she explained that she ahd already seen me wlking up tryign to grab a ride a few times but her brother had forbidded her but luckily for me she broke that rule :p. Got home. Had a barbecue where I prepared the rest of the tuna I had bought a few days back with tomatoes, onions, ginger, cinamon and coconut milk (which I freshly prepare - it took me 40min just to make the coconut milk). Then we all went out to party in papetee (first night strole since Santiago). Had a very nice evenign eventhough the prices are mimical to nightclub prices in Paris. Got home, slept.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


kathy_m on

De retour à Tahiti ?
Huuummmmmm, hhuuuuuuuummm,
J'espère que tu reviens bientôt sur terre...
à Tahiti...
Tu décolles demain (dimanche 7 déc. à 7H30 du matin)
As-tu été donner à manger aux requins? Trouver des perles noires?
A bientôt sur le blog.

kathy_m on

Tu vois les requins, c'est quand même impressionnant de leur donner à manger quand on a des yeux 'd'adulte' et non plus d'enfant..
Huahiné c'est plus comme Mooréa ou Bora Bora? Maintenant que tu peux comparer, laquelle tu préfères?

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: