Week 2

Trip Start Aug 21, 2007
Trip End Jan 21, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Netherlands  ,
Sunday, September 2, 2007

Week 2
Today was pretty easy going. I walked close to 12 miles today. My roommate and I woke up early and walked into town with Yoletta and Orelia (the other two Lithuanian girls). We went with the mission of getting internet working. At the office of Nederwoon we got the papers with directions on how to install internet in our apartments. They were not very helpful there. We told them of all the things our apartment is missing and how it was dirty, they didn't seem to really care. Oh well, we contacted our housekeeper and he is helping us with every thing. When we returned to our apartment to install our internet we found out that it was not working. I called Nederwoon and informed them of the problems and they said "yes, there is a problem...it should be fixed by tomorrow or some time this week." Ridiculous. I am so frustrated with them. We later found out that we had to go to school to get the password and internet information. I decided not to participate in the introduction games today because I was feeling ill and it was playing football (aka soccer). I walked with the group to school and went my separate way. I stopped by the international office to find out about obtaining temporary residency and to get my internet information. I was the only one there when I arrived, when I left 15 minutes later there were probably 15 people in the small office, every one with the same objectives as I had. After I received my password and information, I walked back home. I installed my internet and for the first time in the week I had internet to update every one. It was beautiful! Once I took care of updating e-mails and such, I decided to walk to the city centre again. I went with the goal of getting my temporary resident permit and buying some new shoes. I took a new way to town to experiment with different directions that were off the busy main road. The way I took was beautiful! There were so many wonderful trees and schools! I liked it very much. When I got to town I went directly to city hall where I could take care of my first task. I accidentally walked into a wedding party after their marriage ceremony. That was slightly awkward. I stood by for a bit so I did not get in any pictures and then walked on. I got to the area I needed to be and took care of my paperwork a bit. I found out that I have to bring it all to the school and fill out another application, and then bring it back to city hall. Come on people! That is a lot of walking! It is good for me, but frustrating to go back and forth so much. I decided to walk around the shops for a bit and look for some shoes. I was not in the mood to shop, but I wandered anyways. The only shoes that I could find were 80 euros! It was ridiculous! That was the least expensive pair! I did not feel like spending that much on shoes, so I moved on. After that frustrating shoe shopping experience I walked back to my flat. When I arrived back I got to talk to my mom on skype and some friends as well! It was so wonderful to hear from people! I loved it! That was all I really did all day. I walk a lot...I love it! J
Today was a busy day! I woke up early this morning and went to school right away. My friends and I walked there together. We had our orientation for ABS (Arnhem Business School) all day. First we met the international office staff, and then the international student event committee, then we received a tour of the building we will be studying in. It is very nice. It is much fancier than Stout, which is strange, but I could get used to this. J After the tour, they fed us a huge lunch! This was the best I have eaten since I was staying with Petra and Peter for sure! After lunch we did "speed dating" with Dutch students who were looking at studying abroad. We sat with those from our country and the students came and asked us questions. For participating in this activity, we each got two free drink tokens at the on campus student run bar and club. It is very interesting. They serve alcohol to students starting at 3 pm on campus every day! That seems strange to me! They encourage drinking and partying so much here. I spent a lot of time at the on campus place just chatting with new friends. I even got to play some darts! My Champlin boys would be so proud of me! I dominated in cricket! I showed them where real players come from! J It was fun! After every one finished their drinks there, I got them to walk to the grocery store with me because I needed food. I spent a lot of time with Heather from New York during this time. We got our groceries, then went with the girl from England to find the Irish boy's house (they were meeting there before the party at night), then we went shopping for new shoes for me at the hidden mall we found next to the grocery store! It was a great place! I plan to go back tomorrow to find things to decorate my new room to make it feel more like home! I am quite excited! I am also going to print some pictures at the photo place to hang on my wall. Soon it will be a little bit more like home. I really think all the time to think by myself is doing me some good. I never allow myself to meditate on my thoughts, but great things are coming out of this time! I am really excited for the growth that is occurring in my life right now! This may be a challenging semester, but challenges are not always bad! They bring growth and learning! I do dearly love to learn! Oh my! I wish I could write all my thoughts out, but it would take forever. Slowly, they are coming out and I am writing them when I least expect them. I got to talk to my mom and brother today as well as a few friends! I was hoping to hear from my dad on skype, but he may have gotten off from work later than expected. It is hard with the time difference for sure. I hope we get to talk soon! I miss them all so much! Oh goodness how I love and adore my family. Well...night has come and I need some rest.  Just remember..."sometimes you need a flashlight when searching the hallways of your soul."- Uncle Paul- Texas Road Trip 2005
Today was an extremely lazy day. I slept until almost noon, which felt great! After I got up and motivated I went with Heather and Luke (from the UK) to the shopping center to have some fun and get stuff to spice up our rooms. I haven't laughed so hard since I arrived in Holland. We played with the toys, had some disgusting sausage rolls, and wandered around town a bit. When we returned I hung out with Luke and we talked about guns and music. He is letting me borrow his acoustic guitar so that I may practice and play when I am bored. I am pretty excited about that. After our chat we separated for a while. We then met up again outside with Claudia and Tessa and sat and relaxed for a few hours. It was a great time. Afterwards I taught Luke how to play cribbage...but quite poorly because I was very tired. That is about all I did today. Super exciting huh?
My school is a party school to say the least. Goodness gracious. There are two bars on campus! Today I did not get to sleep until 7:30 am. I could not sleep because I had a lot on my mind.  I awoke to Luke, the guy from the UK knocking on my door. I was too tired to answer the door so I just mumbled a short grunt and tried to go back to bed. My attempts were worthless and I ended up getting out of bed, showering, and getting ready for the day.  When I was ready, some friends came to my window asking if I wanted to go to the shopping center. I didn't have anything else to do, so I went along just to wander. When we got there Heather and I ran into Alex from UW-Whitewater and we went with him to his apartment to see what it was like. After visiting his apartment we stopped by Nev's (Australian) apartment. His was really nice! He has a buzzer and every thing! It is pretty sweet! After that we decided we should head back and try to find our group at the shopping center. We could not find them so we walked back to Nederwoon. Soon after, we all met up again and went to HAN festival (HAN is the name of our university). Basically it was a free food, live music, and cheap drinks night. Most people were getting very trashed. It was alright, but kind of rainy and busy. The food was good though! I had some incredible ice cream!!! Oh my! You have no idea! I met many new, very nice people at the festival. People also really liked me because I gave away my free drink tokens because I don't drink. They gave me four free drink tokens!!! That is crazy! It is a shame I don't drink, I would have been pretty excited. It started raining as I walked back from the festival, so I decided to just hang out in my room the rest of the evening. I stayed up and talked to some friends and my dad. It was a nice night.
Today I slept in again because every one else was hung over from the night before. At around noon I went to school to pick up my student ID (which I will not have for another two weeks) as well as my class schedule. On the way to school a man from Arnhem stopped us and asked if we were new students and asked if we lived in the apartments near by. I responded because the other girls did not understand him. He said he also lived there and wished us luck in Dutch. He was very kind. I had to translate what he said to the Lithuanian girls. I can't believe that I understood him! While at the International Office I found out that Stout means naughty in Dutch, which made me laugh. Every time a Dutch person asks me what school I am from I say Stout. HA! They all think I am saying naughty every time. I am pretty excited for my classes to begin on Monday. I am very sad though because the two classes I really wanted to take are at the same time. Right now they told me I can still do both, but we shall see what happens. After my trip to school I watched Memoirs of a Giesha. Right as that was getting done, Shimon and Sime stopped by my window and asked me to go to the city centre. I went because again, I had nothing else to do and a walk sounded good to me. On the way it began raining. We wandered around and ran some errands, then came back to Nederwoon. It was a good walk, but a bit wet.

Saturday: Today was very uneventful. I hung out with Luke, Heather, Klaudia, and Tessa all day. We sat outside and shared music with one another and chatted. When it got late, Heather, Luke, and I came to my flat and I made dinner for the three of us and we watched a movie. Honestly...that was all I did today. I wrote a very long, random email as well that took me over three hours to complete. Quite humorous if you ask me.
Sunday: Today is pancake day! The girls from Lithuania invited us over to enjoy pancakes! Also...Heather made scrambled eggs and stuff for me for breakfast! I am getting fed all over the place! How wonderful! :-) Other than pancake day, today it just a relaxing day...classes begin tomorrow at 8:45 am. I have class in the morning...then late in the afternoon. I get done with school on Mondays at almost 6 pm. Ick. Oh well!
That is all for this week. Have a good one!
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html:

Table of Contents