Downpour during a walk in the park

Trip Start Sep 15, 2012
Trip End May 01, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Malaysia  , Wilayah Persekutuan,
Friday, January 25, 2013

Woke up with a hangover - although Vikki truly believed hers to be worse - and Paula made beans on toast for breakfast to soak up all the bad juice (for being a bit of a knob the night before, in a loving way) and prepare us for a day of exploring.

We managed to get our collective shit together just in time to see the City Tour bus sail past us at the bottom of the street - never before in the history of man had the City Bus ever come on time, let alone 5 minutes, early and so we sighed in calm resignation and flagged down a cab to take us into the centre of town.

From the back of the cab Vikki started up a conversation with the driver regarding the face of an Indian man hanging from a tacky trinket on the rear view mirror. The driver stated it was his 'guru'. From there a detailed conversation ensued regarding his wife's inability to have children, how his guru had changed all that and how he worshipped his knowledge and spiritual enlightenment. Vikki asked where such a guru lived?........ it turned out to be a grave - the taxi driver worshipped a dead man, strange that!
Just as he was getting particularly animated about his love for this man it seemed he had forgotten that he was driving a car altogether and only narrowly missed hitting an adjacent bus - we later considered how ironic it would be to have an accident whilst some guy harped on about how his life had been enriched by his guru - all far too much with a hangover in any case. We were pleased when we arrived at the central market and hopped out with relieved goodbyes.

After a quick ATM stop we pointed ourselves in the general direction of the botanical gardens and started walking.....

Big mistake - especially given the severity of Vikki's hangover. It was like the 'Crystal Maze', we walked and walked and went up steps and through underpasses and along streets and over bridges and we could still find no way to get across the f**king train tracks - we even ended up on a platform in the station trying to get across them and had a moment of amusing distraction at the 'Ladies Only' carriages.

After some more aimless walking we found someone who actually talked sense and, with great joy, we emerged into the sunlight on the other side of the tracks.

From there we trekked in the heat for a further eternity, up hill, until we came to a lovely fibre-glass replica of Stonehenge outside a science building - how strange to see the stone formation on a hill in Kuala Lumpur.

We then stumbled across the Police Museum (Why?!) and thought of our housemate Rachel wielding her truncheon for the police gallery. Eventually we found the general vicinity of the Botanical Garden and by this point Vikki couldn't care less if there were beautiful rare orchids all around. We found a wooden park pagoda and lay down to appreciate the insides of our eyelids.

After a short while of relaxing Vikki turned to discover a beautiful butterfly had landed on Paula's head and was dry humping her bandana...Vikki style shrieking and photographing ensued.

Feeling a little more energised we decided to walk around the park trails and see what we could find. Our discoveries included a very handsome frog, a discarded rainbow umbrella (which we considered taking with us but decided against it, remember this readers!) and down by the sculpture garden we spotted several newly married couples in full wedding regalia and their enthusiastic photographers bending them into romantic poses over water features and against trellises brimming with flowers. It was obviously the wedding photo location of choice and there were some particularly amusing contortions to keep us amused.

Just as we got half way up a wooded hill it started to thunder and lightning and it absolutely poured down - how we wished we had taken that large rainbow umbrella after all. We agreed that being under tall trees on a hill wasn't so sensible in a thunder storm and so headed for lower ground and the car park of the National Museum where we hoped we could find a cab. After fifteen minutes of waiting like prostitutes on the side of the road trying to flag a cab down we changed tack and Vikki practically flung herself in front of a passing taxi which, thankfully, stopped and agreed to take us back to the hostel...brilliant.

Inside the cab the air conditioning was on full whack and we absolutely froze to the bone, but, we were in a dry car going home and so we accepted the possibility of pneumonia as a side effect of our rescue.

Soaked to the bone and with icicles hanging off our extremities we got to our room to dry off an relax. We had intended to go for dinner at the KL tower but neither of us was in the mood so we sacked of the luxury of a beautiful restaurant with 360 degree views of the city for a local eatery where they showed us the menu and then told us that everything we wished to order was was definitely one of those days.

We ended up with takeaway trays of very strong egg curry, bombay potatoes, garlic naan and pilau rice - it was better than ending up with fish head stew which for some reason didn't seem very popular (there was still lots left) - and it had the desired effect of satisfying our hangover bellies.

The entire meal also cost about 3.50.Curry, movie, early night - job done....
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


annewardell on

...and did you bring back Mr Orange Frog then? No! He looks so sweet too & no-one would have minded.....xxxxx

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: