Home via Dublin.

Trip Start Aug 21, 2008
Trip End Nov 18, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Ireland  , County Dublin,
Saturday, November 22, 2008

Well... to pick up where Laura left off, we left from Jerusalem on Nov. 15th homeward bound but with a brief stop-over in Germany and Ireland.  The route home in fact would prove to be a tedious, complicated, and long trip.  For the reader's convenience I will lay out a timetable of this arduous trip..

*the following is an approximate account of our journey*

Nov. 15th-
2:00pm: Leave Jerusalem by rented car for the airport in Tel Aviv.
4:00pm: Arrive at Tel Aviv airport discover flight delayed 2 hours.
8:30pm: Finally leave Israel for Munich
Midnight: Arrive in Munich, get picked up by relatives, drive 1 hour to their house.

Nov. 16th-
1:00am: Arrive at my relatives house
1:30am: In bed, at last.
5:30am: Awake to leave for train station
6:00am: Arrive at train station and leave for Passing-Baden
9:30am: Arrive in Passing
10:30am: Take bus to Karlsruhe airport
12:55pm: Leave Germany for Dublin, Ireland.
4:00pm: Arrive in Dublin
5:00pm: Get on bus bound for city center of Dublin
6:00pm: Arrive in middle of Dublin, walk by foot to our hostel
6:30pm: Arrive at Hostel

Nov. 17th-
9:00am: Walk all day around Dublin (see below)

Nov. 18th-
5:00am- Walk 1/2 an hour
5:30am- Arrive at bus station, leave for Dublin Airport
6:00am- Arrive at the airport
8:50am- Depart Dublin on board Delta flight 6852 to JFK international Airport.
(7 hour flight)
11:20am- Arrive at JFK, (time change)
4:40pm- Depart on board Delta flight something? to Baltimore BWI airport
6:00pm- Arrive BWI airport, picked up by our lovely friend Amy.
7:30pm- Walk in the door of my brothers house.

 Back in Ireland.  After visiting Ireland roughly 2 1/2 months ago, Laura and I found it very nice to return to the small, lucky, cold, rainy, shamrock island.  With only 2 nights and one whole day to see a bit of Dublin, we decided despite being tired, fatigued, and just generally ready to get home, we would make the best of our time in Dublin.  In that time we were in Ireland back in September we met two girls (Louise and Andrea) who graciously decided to join us in Dublin to end our time in Europe in the best possible way.  Here's a shortened account from Laura of our time with them in Ireland's beautiful and quaint capital.

We arrived to our hostel on Sunday night and had just enough time to shower and eat dinner before our lovely friends showed up by bus.  Dublin had already been decorated for Christmas and, despite the frigid cold, practically pleaded with locals and visitors alike to stroll along its lamp-lit streets.   We went with our friends to a small, quiet pub to enjoy Guinness and Murphy's for one last time and so much enjoyed their conversation and company.  On our way back to our hotel, the bitter cold forced us to walk quickly with our scarves wrapped tightly around our necks and hands stuffed in our jacket pockets.  We had no idea what greeted us back in our hostel room. 

It was apparent as soon as we walked in our hostel room that our roommates (two young guys from Northern Ireland) had been enjoying themselves while we were gone.  Scooter and I found one of them lying unconscious on the floor in the middle of the room, his head under a bunk bed.  There were several beer cans and empty pill packets scattered on the floor so it wasn't too hard to put together what had transpired that evening.  As we took in the scene before us, we heard a strange noise coming from the bathroom.  Scooter opened the bathroom door to find unconscious guy's friend, also unconscious, snoring in the bathtub.  The bathroom looked completely destroyed; the sink was plugged and full of water, the shower curtain had been torn down and was now laying on the floor with a tiny corner clutched in the unconscious guy's hand.  The guy's clothes were lying soaking wet in a pile on the bathroom floor and that tiny corner of shower curtain clutched in his hand?  The only thing separating the naked guy's private parts from the innocent observer.  Needless to say we requested a room change immediately. 

The next morning, Scooter and I went to the Guinness Factory- we received two passes as a going away gift from our friend Molly.  What a cool museum!  We met up with our friends for a traditional Irish lunch and then walked around Dublin and took in the sights.  Scooter and I went to bed early since we had to get up at 5AM to fly home the next day. 

Our flight home was fantastic!  We had the whole aisle to ourselves and the airline provided quite an impressive selection of movies and TV shows to watch during the 6 hour flight back to D.C.  Amy picked us up in Baltimore- a true friend!  I vaguely remember Scooter actually kissing American soil outside of the airport. 

We are so glad to be home!

Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


jkbenzschawel on

I feel like I've been reading a really cool travel book for the past hour and a half... awesome blogs Laurita and Scooter... proud of you guys! This has made me even more excited to be able to do some similar traveling in a couple years. I will probably be a really annoying tip-seeker for you guys whenever I start planning in before or right after graduate school. Thanks for filling us in while you were in Europe even though you've been back in the states for a month and I just now read all 32 blogs. Glad you made it back alive and intact, despite Scooter's wild hairs. (Seriously... you swam across a freakin' channel?)

With love,

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: