Sand Blasted, washed out road & relax

Trip Start Jun 13, 2010
Trip End Jul 17, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Hilal's House

Flag of Oman  ,
Saturday, July 10, 2010

    What a crazy night. The wind whipped the tent here and there. I had the cooler in one corner, a 5 gallon water jug in another, and our two backpacks on the other corners to keep the tent down. Maybe not losing so much weight in Oman was a good idea. If it was just Pooja in the tent who knows where it would be now! The wind also brought in a ton of sand – even though we had the tent covered. The sand was very fine so it was easy to find its way in. Everything in the tent was covered in the morning – including our teeth. Surprisingly, but not unexpected on this trip, we slept pretty late for a tent – until 8:00 – though the sun comes up at 5:30. However, the morning sky was overcast and cool which kept us in for awhile. We packed everything away in the car and tried to dust everything off as much as possible. Luckily the wind was not blowing too much. I drove for 10 min. before Pooja decided she wanted too. She did not do so bad since it was her first time in the sands. We picked up a Bedouin that flagged us down. Nice guy, but I'm sure this was the first time a lady in shorts had driven him around the sands. It got crazy in one spot as the road narrowed considerably and went up and down a small dune. Pooja did not slow down and we all went flying about including all the stuff in the back. Pooja just smiled and said "Opps!" She drove the rest of the way out of the sands, dropped off the guy, and went to our tire shop to get the air put back in. We also got some breakfast of egg sandwiches, a tea for Pooja, and a lemon drink for me at the coffee shop next door. Next it was time to wash up at the pools in the wadi 50 km from here. We came here before with Hilal and it was the best pools we went to in Oman. We drove there with lots of traffic close by. However, 3 km before the parking area, the road had been washed out. We noticed that the area was much greener than the last time. So they must have had a lot of rain. We reached the washed out road and had to turn around which was quite dicey as there were steep drop-offs in the wadi on both sides. Plus, I had a line of cars behind me that would not back-up. So it took us about 30 min. to get out of the area. So no washing the sand off our bodies here. We drove back up and down the curvy road and back the 130 km to the house. I drove the rest of the way back. We got back to Sumail around 1:00 and had some lunch on the floor of our room. We took the dusty stuff out of the car and dusted it off again as much as we could. Hilal was not at home as he had some more work to do. So Pooja and I spent the afternoon in the room on the computer and taking naps. Hilal came back and we discussed some stuff for the next few days. He went off to play football while Pooja and I took the car for a washing. There was a long line at the car wash place so we gave the keys to the head guy and walked a km down the highway to the shisha shop. While Pooja did that I had a Dew and did some reading. After 1 hour we walked back right before the sun went down to get the car. It was still not ready but that was OK since they were doing a great job detailing the car. After it was done, the Pajero looked like a brand new car – not the one were had bashed through the desert earlier in the day. We drove home and relaxed some more. Kamla cooked us a dinner of cooked macaroni which was nice and filling. Tomorrow we will go back to Muscat.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: