Kayak Seward

Trip Start May 25, 2008
Trip End Aug 03, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Stoney Creek RV Park

Flag of United States  , Alaska
Wednesday, July 2, 2008

This had to have been the laziest morning I have had on the trip. A true vacation morning instead of an adventure. It is OK to have these days ever so often. You can only have so much adventure, and anyhow this would come later in the evening. We did not get up until around 10:00. It was a bright sunny day which made for even more lazy bugs swarming around. I had a little breakfast, took the dogs for their customary morning walk, and then took a chair out and read for a few hours. Pooh finally got a chance to play on the computer since I'm usually blogging all the time. I needed a little break from it. Around 1:00, we finally got ready for our day. Since we are kayaking, we did not bring the dogs with us to town. We drove downtown to eat at this restaurant called Apollo which was a mix of Greek, Italian, and Alaskan. I picked this place out because of the Greek menu, since I cook pasta at least a few times a week. I had Gyro plate with a Greek salad while Pooh had a fried seafood plate. The food was average and expensive - par for the course on this trip. We then drove south on town right on the edge of the mountains on a gravel road with no railing. If you take a bump the wrong way, you'll end up in the bay. Very reassuring. At the end of the road was our kayak outfitter, Millers Landing. We were here a few hours early, so we registered and took a hike on the coastal trail nearby. There were signs all over the place about a mama bear and cubs that were not afraid of humans. So we had the bell action going on with our walking sticks. Even though it had the name of coastal trail, most of it was through woods about 100 feet above the coast. Sometimes we went through rocky river beds, on boardwalks, through high grasses. So this was a varied trail that kept your interest. We went as far as a closed bridge and walked back very quickly to get back to our kayak place. Our Kayak did not start until 7:00 and would last until 11:00. Pooh and I rode in a double kayak which is the first time we had done so. The other times we had been were in single kayaks. So now we would have to work together. Since we were kayaking in cold water, we wore splash guards so the inside of the kayak would not get too much of this cold water inside and freeze us. Our guide was very good. She was a local who currently attends Stanford and had spent a year with the UN Refugee Camps in Zambia. She also knew everything about the geology of the place - probably the smartest person we have met on this trip. About one hour into the trip, Pooh's hands started getting very cold. While we were in the sun, everything was fine, but in the shadow of the mountain, it got a little cold for her. Once we got on shore to see Bridal Veil Falls, our guide gave Pooh and hand warmer and some extra clothes to keep her warm on the way back. The falls were very nice but soon it was time to go back. The ride back was a little hard since we were both tired. It was hard to use the paddles on this kayak since Pooh and I have different strokes. Overall, a great trip. We gave our guide a very good tip and headed home. On the way on the small rocky road next to the bay, we stopped for a bit to watch a couple of playful sea otters for 10 min. A great end for the day. Back at the RV late, I had my dinner of chips and salsa before I turned in.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: