Homer, Alaska

Trip Start May 25, 2008
Trip End Aug 03, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Oceanview RV Park

Flag of United States  , Alaska
Saturday, June 28, 2008

Started out as a mostly cloudy day in Homer, Alaska. Our mission today was to ride our bikes out to the spit which is around 6 miles out to the tip. We spent the morning getting the bikes ready. Today would be Pooh's first on her fixed bike. Our first place to bike to was only 5 min. away to the visitors center where we could find out about the trails and bike paths of the town. On the floor they had this beautiful glass made mosaic. Not what you would expect in a visitor center. One thing about these centers up here is it is easy to spend a long time speaking to the locals about everything. Another 10 min. down the road and we were at the Center for Alaska Costal Studies which has a huge - for this size town - interpretation center with everything you need to know about the coast of Alaska. First off was one of the best vis. Center films I've seen. It was about a science ship that travels the Aleutian Islands during the summer surveying and taking care of the wildlife on all those islands. The cinematography was perfect. It made me want to spend a season on this boat and hang around these islands. Right after the show was a ranger led walk to the beach. We thought this would be a short little tour but it ended up being almost two hours - but a good and informative two hours. Our tour guide knew how to talk about everything we were seeing. Now the Homer Beach is not like we are use to. It is a rocky beach with no one just lying out. The weather and the water are not contusive to this type of activity. We learned and some of the rocks had come from the tropics!!!! That's a well traveled rock. There is also a lot of coal on the beach. So a lot of times people will gather the driftwood, light a piece of coal from the beach, and have a large campfire. We saw some teenagers do this with some beer. After the tour, Pooh was getting hungry so we biked all the way down the spit to eat at a seafood place most people were talking about - Capitan Patties. Lonely Planet said it had overpriced seafood for the tourist. Everyone was partly right. The seafood was good - I had a sample plate of scallops, HUGE shrimp, halibut, & salmon. It was pretty good but it was also $22 - and that was for a lunch. Pooh has some fish stuffed mushrooms with cheese which was very filling. After our nice, and expensive lunch, we biked back off the spit. Now biking on the spit is great since there is a separate bike lane, but it is very windy out there which can make for hard times. I went a little ahead to catch the tail end of the Homer farmers market. By the time I got there most people had packed-up and it looked like I did not miss much. We were looking for local produce and the place had a lot of arts and crafts which we are not too much into. Now it was time to bike home, and we just made it before some rain and major wind hit. The wind was so hard that it constantly blew out our pilot light for our furnace so we had to rely on the electric heater as it was a little chilly with the wind. We relaxed for a bit after our long but enjoyable ride today. I spent a few hours blogging at the office which was a long hike up the bluff as we are close to the bottom. After I got back, we got into the truck for a short drive around town to check out a store that was still open. This one store had a ton of stuff but it was on the expensive side - now that we have been on this trip for over a month we know what the good prices are. We did end up buying a bottle of local Salmon Berry Syrup. That was it for our night on the town. After our huge lunch we did not eat too much for dinner. Instead, we took a long walk on the "beach" with the dogs for a few hours. Very hard to do at times with all the rocks. But as with yesterday evening, we could see 3 volcano's pretty clear - and these puppies are over 70 miles away. We let the dogs go for a bit off their leash so they could run around a bit. Since I had an early trip planned for tomorrow, I had to turn around to go back. However, it takes me so long to get things organized before I can go to sleep, like get my pack in order (I have to pack my lunch for tomorrow) and get a shower. Then I have to play a game or two of cards - until I win, then I can conch out.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: