High Flyin' travel day

Trip Start Dec 25, 2010
Trip End Dec 31, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of United States  , Florida
Saturday, December 25, 2010

Plane tickets were cheaper for Christmas than for the day after so we booked a 5:20om flight.  We drove from Ft. Wayne to Bev's house in Beech Grove and arrived around 1:30.  I was unsure of the road conditions so I was a little anxious to leave Ft. Wayne, when actually most of the snow missed Indy and it was smooth sailing.  The plan was to leave her house around 2:15 to go pick uup Stephanie from her house.  We took Dad's vehicle and had to pile four across in the back because the last seat was down for luggage.  The drive to the airport was uneventful.  We were very thoughtfully dropped off at the door by Dad and Bev.  We took their bags while they parked.  Stephanie was the only one who had to check a bag so she did that while they parked.  I went to the bathroom, and when I came back I asked Miles if he had my boarding pass.  He said no so I ran to the bathroom in a panic to find it.  I didn't find it, came out, and Miles was "unknowingly"  holding it the whole time. Dad and Bev threated to leave us and go to Hawaii instead, but decided to go with us :)  We all sat in the lobby area.  Stephanie got a taco salad, and Miles and I after a not so nice encounter with the overworked employee of the pizza place got some breadsticks.  We cashed in a couple of winning lottery tickets only to lose with the new tickets.  Bev had a friend who was picking up her daughter so they were abler to visit, then Bev got to see the daughter too.  We had a different flight than Stephanie because she had to book her flight later than us.  I had cards and candy canes for the airport workers for Christmas Day.  The first three workes accepted the cards but the people working the x-ray machies said they weren't allowed to.  Dad and Bev went to a candy store on the other side of the airport and visited Stephanie while they were over there.  We were a little late boarding the plane but it was rather uneventful with Miles and I on one side, Dad and Bev right behind, and Luke with a stranger diagonally behind.  the stranger wore a Dallas Clark jersey, smelled bad, and you could hear his breathing from quite a distance.  I gave cards to the flight attendant, and both of the pilots.  The flight attendant was very appreciative.  
    As soon as we got off the plane in Detroit Bev went to get in line because Luke was actually the only person with a guaranteed seat on the plane.  We got Wendy's while she was in line. ($2.29 for a jr. bacon...they can charge you any price they want in an airport).  The woman working the counter would not even acknowledge we were in line, but shockingly in the end we all had tickets.  There was this loud mouthed arrogant man decked out in Jacksonville Jaguar apparel.  He was on the phone bad mouthing about how unappreciative a lady was who he had given tickets to the game.  I didn't think he was being overly foul mouthed, but a Delta pilot who was trying to fly via the jumpseat on our flight thought he was, so he told him to watch his mouth, kids were around.  This really made the guy mad, and he fumed for awhile.  Dad nicknamed this guy Bobby Knight.  All of us were seated separate, but dad managed to trade with someone to get a seat next to Bev (extra leg room), and Miles was able to trade to get next to Luke.  I was the loner this time, but got a seat in an exit row (extra leg room) and was seated next to a nice high school kid who was separated from his family because of all the flight cancellations in Atlanta.  Bev was able to suck up to "Bobby Knight" enough for him to give her a drink voucher.   While we waited for one hour before we actually took off I passed out candy canes on the plane.  I bet that about 30 people took one.  We were late getting to Jacksonville, but actually beat Stephanie because her plane was 2.5 hours late.  Charlotte was having bad weather, and they sat on the runway most of that 2.5 hours from the sounds of it.  Miles, Luke and I took the shuttle first, and had to wait forever (well about 30 miinutes) I had given the flight attendants and the pilots of this flight cards too.  One flight attendant came up to me and said she really appreciated it.  She had worked for the company 6 years and was yet to have a Christmas day off.  As we waited for the shuttle, the two pilots remembered me and thanked me. It was supposed to be a complimentary shuttle, but they charged us $2 per person.  It was really just the point behind it that Miles got mad (I thought that was really funny, because it is usually me that gets mad about things).  We checked into the rooms and the rest of the group arrived about 30 minutes later.  They took a fast, direct shuttle for $10 total.  We went to the gas station that shared a parking lot to get a drink.  Our room (Miles, Luke and I) went to bed around 1:00 am and the other room about 2:00 am. 
Report as Spam

My Review Of The Place I Stayed

Loading Reviews
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: