Let the Adventure Begin

Trip Start Jun 05, 2012
Trip End Jul 10, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , Indiana
Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Let the adventure of a lifetime begin.  I woke up earlier than the alarm was set and couldn't go back to sleep.  I ran 2 miles, ate breakfast, showered, then we threw the bags into the car.  Luke drove us to the airport.  We got our boarding passes for the duration of the trip, dropped off the luggage and went through security.  We looked around the concourse, then had some time to sit and relax.  Our first flight was a two hour flight to Newark, New Jersey just across the Hudson River from New York City.  Very uneventful flight, on a small plane with one nice stewardess.  We actually landed more than 30 minutes early which is almost unheard of with flights these days.  We took a bus crom terminal A over to terminal C.  Then we walked quite a bit.  We split an order of garlic knots from a pizza place then played Yatzee and a could card games.  Then we split Asian Chao.  We had a four hour layover so we relaxed quite a bit and had plenty of time to chill out.  We had a great view of Manhattan from the terminal. An adventurous person might have taken the train over to NYC for an hour, but I don't think that would be worth risking a missed flight. We were supposed to get our passport checked before they ever started boarding.  I waited in line first, while Miles sat with the bags, then we changed positions.  Miles and an old man struck up a conversation while waiting in the line. The guy and his wife had been traveling for a few years but when he was in the military he was actually in a plane crash. Many people died and he was the only person uninjured.  The airline only gave him $750 and considering all his luggage was lost with the part of the plane that blew off it wasn't that much money. We loaded the plane on time.  It was very large and holds 9 people across with 2 aisles.  We got in line on the runway fairly quickly but then the captain told us we were number 20 in line.  We took off an hour and twelve minutes late, but supposedly we chose a good route and bumped up the speed to 696 mph so we would only arrive ten minutes late.  We were seated next to a college sophomore on her way  to 2 months on a mission trip.  She is an elementary education teacher major at Columbia International University in South Carolina.  The meal was pretty good.  It was chicken with rice and vegetables, a salad, a roll, and a brownie.  We watched the movie 21 Jump Street, then I watched two episodes of Mike and Molly and a documentary about Usain Bolt and runners from Jamaica.  Then we tried to sleep for a few hours.  They gave us melon and croissant rolls in the morning because it was morning in Brussels, Belgium where we would be landing.  It was only 2:00am our time. 
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: