Victoria Falls

Trip Start Jun 05, 2012
Trip End Jul 10, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Victoria Falls Backpackers

Flag of Zimbabwe  ,
Thursday, July 5, 2012

Got up a little before 8:00 and ate the complimentary cereal and toast.  We showered then started walking towards Boabab Primary School.  We met the headmaster who set up a tour for us.  The bursar was named Casper and he took us around the school.  We popped into a 4th grade class doing math and a 6th grade class doing social studies.  The 6th grade class asked us some questions. The 7th graders were taking mock exams in preparation for real exams.  We spent the most time with the 4 year olds.  They gathered around me as soon as I went through the fence.  There were over 100 of them all wanting to touch me.  They started chanting "Keewa" so I started saying it to them as I gave each of them a high five.  They all wore blue uniforms, and were pushing and shoving each other to get to me.  As it turns out, Keewa means white person, so essentially I was calling each of them a white person as I gave them a high five. Oops.  The school was a very interesting experience and I am really glad that we went.  
     Next, we walked into town and headed down to the falls. We paid the $60 then started on our own, daylight, self-guided tour.  We started at lookout point number 1.  There was a statue of Livingstone.  We looked at Devils Cateract, Horseshoe Falls, and others.  In some spots the mist was so strong that you couldn't even see the falls. We saw a few bush buck deer which was the first time we had seen this animal.  Miles kept looking for snakes in the trees.  He went to the bridge, but I did not go all the way there.  We left the park and headed to Pizza Inn.  Miles ordered teh double pepperoni and mushroom and I got bacon.  I went to Spar and bought a 1 liter Fanta for us to share.  Next we went to gamble for a little while.  I lost all $5 that I started with but Miles started with $10 and ended with $15 so we broke even.  Then I traded some items and then we used the internet for 30 minutes each We got a meter of fabric then walked all the way back to Backpackers.  We were going to go on a sunset cruise but it didn't reach the minimum number so it was giong to be $100 so we said we would pass.  I took a nap until 5:30, then we worked on trying to pack some of our stuff for the flight.  We took a $5 taxi into town and went to a new restaurant called George's.  We got bruschetta as an appetizer.  Then we got our main course.  I had a fish called a hack and Miles had alfredo with bacon and mushrooms in it.  Then we ordered canolis and cream puffs for dessert.  An amazing dinner for $34 and a nice tip.  Then we went to an internet cafe that was $1 per hour.  I was able to chat on Facebook with Luke, Sheila, Bev, then finally got a connection with mom.  We walked down to the casino and each got a $10 card. I only ended with $2 but Miles ended with $12.  We walked back to the main street and got a $3 taxi back to Backpackers.  Miles worked on a crossword while I caught up on my journal.  Then it was time for bed on my last night in Zimbabwe. 

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Mom on

Love this blog! Sounds like a GREAT time! So glad you were able to meet up with Ernie and Marlene. It was very nice of them to treat you to dinner! I thought a trip to Australia might be in your future! :) They sound like wonderful people!

Crazy seeing all the wild animals on the fairways! Really cool! Seems like you have been able to do a lot of neat things, but have been able to stay in the same area a little longer and do what you want. Hopefully it's been lots of fun, but relaxing at the same time.

The book situation at the school is sad. :( But....a pool? That is huge! Glad they have it! I bet the differences in the way they do things and how the students act is 180 degrees from here!

Hope you have decent internet service in Johannesburg. Be safe and have a great time! Can't wait for the next update!

Check your e-mail, Michele.

Love you!

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: