Dar es Salaam, Tanzania

Trip Start Jun 05, 2012
Trip End Jul 10, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Tanzania  ,
Saturday, June 16, 2012

   The alarm sounded at 5:00am.  We took down the tent in the dark, used the restroom and got ready for breakfast.  I had cereal and toast, but MIles had some of the eggs and there were also baked beans with green peppers but I didn't dare try that!  We did the dishes and left shortly after 6:00am.  We went through another weigh bridge and this one had us 250 kg heavier than last night.  I spent about the next 2.5 hours sleeping on and off to help pass the time considering we wold be driving all day.  There were logs hanging in the trees and Victor pointed out that they were beehives.  We started seeing green flags with sickles and wondered what it was.  Apparently that represents the ruling political party. We also passed fields of sisal.  We saw the Pane mountains then a while later we saw the Usumbara Mountains.  The clouds were low and the mountains were tall so that combination leades to a neat view.  Then we drove through Mombo town.  We saw a railroad over on the right side of the road which was built by the Chinese government in the 1970's.  It wasn't used anymore and people ever steal sections of the metal to sell for money.  We stopped for a restroom break at a gas station then continued.  I mostly slept for the first hour after the break.  I also looked at the map for awhile too.  Victor and Miles started a crossword, then Ernest joined in.  Then they did a Suduko puzzle.  Next, we saw a fuel truck wrecked with a huge hole in the side.  Luckily it was not carrying fuel, because if it was the truck would have gone up in a big fireball.  Then we saw a bus accident right after it happened.  The bus was coming from the other direction and just went off the sides of the road and tipped.  In many spots it would have tipped completely on its side, but there was a steep hillside, so it just rested against that hill.  People were still crawling out when we drove past.
    During long drives, we try to come up with lots of things to keep us busy.  Our next activity was teaching Victor how to play Yatzee. Then we saw another wreck too.  It was 48 km to lunch at that point and it was already 12:45 so it looks like a late lunch today.  We finally arrived at 1:30 and it was a buffet in a town called Chalinze.  The kitty included the buffet, we just had to pay 1000 shillings for our drink.  There were 3 different rice dishes, one "beef", one fish heads, and some other weird ones.  There also had french fries.  Something didn't settle well, and I had a headache, but onward we traveled to Dar es Salaam.  I took some time to pack my day pack considering we would be spending 3 days on Zanzibar.  We had seen lots of accidents on the road today, the latest being a truck that flipped trying to pass.  When there is an accident people break off branches and place them in the road so that people will know there is an accident coming up and they slow down.  They don't have fancy safety signs or orange cones, so this is a good alternative.  Well also drive past the little road that leads to the village of the President.  Then I line of some sort of delegates sped by but I am not sure if anyone of them were super famous or not?  we got into Dar es Salaam and Victor hopped out of the vehicle and hopped onto a motorcycle taxi to go get our ferry tickets to Zanzibar.  He would meet us at camp later.  Then we had to drive 50 kilometers around the city because our big truck was banned from the small ferry.  We got to camp around 5:30 and set up our tent on the sand, looking out over the Indian Ocean.  We should be able to get a nice breeze off of the water for nice sleeping weather.  We tossed around the football for awhile.  Victor and Miles were on a team for volleyball and at first it was me by myself but another guy joined in.  His little son played with our soccer ball while we played.  A few kids started watching.  We got a shower after walking into the water.  It felt great even though it was only cold water.  After that it was almost time for dinner.  We had spaghetti and learned what the next few days would involve.  Then we did the dishes.  Ernie and Marlene went back to watch rugby over a the bar area, we finished packing, got some ice cream, and headed to bed. 

Food 5000 TSH
20,000 TSH tip for Godfrey who is leaving at this point
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Mom on

Sounds like a very tiring day! The accidents sound hairy! YIKES! Hope your driver is always extremely careful. That has to be a bit disconcerting to see all of those accidents. God speed to you and your group! Will continue to pray for traveling mercies for you! :)

Wow! Camping at the Indian Ocean....amazing! Dinner sounds good....the most "normal" thing so far! lol! I would have passed on the fish heads, too! lol!

Glad you had enough energy left to play volleyball and cards. Victor probably enjoyed the diversion and the opportunity to have some fun!

Sounds like a long, tiring day. Hope you got some rest!

Love You,


Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: