Trip Start Dec 07, 2009
Trip End Jul 01, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Hotel La Vasca

Flag of Argentina  ,
Saturday, April 24, 2010

You will probably guess from the title of this post that we have
spent a lot of time on buses just lately. An incredible 47 of the last
120 hours of our lives have been spent sitting still with nothing but
some views, some books and some podcasts (oh, and each other!) for
company. We are quite completely bussed out and are extremely excited
about the prospect of a couple of days without even seeing one of the
damn things!
Things began with an 18 hour ride from Buenos Aires overnight to
Puerto Iguazu. We once again paid top dollar for the most reclinable
seats - this time on Via Bariloche - in the hope of getting a good
nights rest but as it turned out the roads weren't so good on this
route, the seats weren't as comfortable and the service wasn't up to
our usual standards of luxury. The weather forecast for Iguazu was bad
and the rain, having moved in as we drove north during the night,
managed to wake me up in a very direct fashion by cascading onto me
from the electric panel above my head! As it turned out, the
precipitation had been so heavy that the entire length of the bus'
overhead electrics had flooded and a few people started their days in
similar fashion.
The rain was incessant, causing rivers on almost every road, often
rivers of red mud that had been washed down from nearby hills. We made
it to our hostel without too much soaking but the outlook for our
proposed trip to the nearby Iguazu Falls was not good.
We decided to take a chance and got up nice and early next morning
and took the bus to the national park. It wasn't raining but there were
some ominous looking clouds around so it was on its way. We started by
doing a nature trail which took us on a path through the rainforest in
the hope of seeing some wildlife. However, by the time we'd been
walking for 20 minutes, the rain had begun and there were no beasts to
be seen, bar the odd enormous spider sitting on its web suspended from
either side of the path! The path led us to a small waterfall which was
reasonably unremarkable, given why we were in the park in the first
place so we simply turned and walked back. The rain had stopped by now
and we did see some coaties, little skunk-like things that apparently
get violent when fed.
Walking back to main part of the park, the main bulk of tourists had
arrived and we joined them on the free train to get to main falls,
Garganta del Diablo (Devil's Mouth). We've all seen waterfalls before
and you'd think 'seen one, seen em all' but these are incredible! Water
from nearby rivers in Paraguay and Brazil comes together and plunges
into an enormous valley from every percievable angle - there are a
couple of huge ones and hundreds of smaller ones, everywhere you look.
Having taken the standard photos, we headed off on one of the trails
that take you round to view the falls from the other side and at this
point the weather began to improve, changing the views as the sun came
out along with some wildlife and before long everyone seemed to have a
brightly coloured butterfly on their hands or clothes, trying to take
close up photos of the artwork on their wings.
We spent most of the day in the park and really enjoyed it. However,
we made a mistake and should have booked our bus to Tucuman for that
night as we could have made it easily. Instead, we had the rest of the
evening and the whole of the next day with absolutely nothing to do.
The rain returned overnight and the town had little going for it bar
the odd restaurant and Annika managed to visit the local gym so she
could sweat a lot in the tropical heat.
After the most boring day of the trip so far, we embarked on our
longest bus trip so far. It took 22 hours to get to Tucuman in the
north west, and it has to be said that we were both a bit fed up by the
time we arrived. We found an old run-down hotel for the night, had some
dinner and attempted to sleep on the softest mattress known to mankind.

Annika had found out about a Jesuit Mission nearby which she wanted
to see before we went to Cafayate so in the morning we took a local bus
to the middle of nowhere. The driver gave us a very odd look when we
jumped off between towns and rightly so - the old church was vaguely
interesting but had long since been abandoned as a tourist attraction
and our only tour guide was a lone duck which wandered through the
ruins with us, struggling to explain the history with its limited
vocabulary. Returning to town, we were just in time to catch the bus to
Cafayate - hoorah, more buses!
We'd been told the journey would take 3 hours but it ended up taking
nearly 6 so we had definitely had enough by the time we arrived
although the route, winding its way up and through a spectacular valley
was fascinating and I caught sight of my first cactii and some llamas.
The cactii, around 10 feet tall and usually having one long piece in
the middle sticking up a lot higher than the others, looked to me like
they'd been running down the hill when the bus had come around the
corner when they were forced to stop dead in their tracks to avoid
being caught - but then maybe I was delirious by then?!
We are now in Cafayate, a very cute little town which just happens to produce a lot of wine - here we go again!
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: