Day 7: Back to Colombo and onward to Galle

Trip Start Dec 17, 2011
Trip End Dec 24, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Mount Lavinia Home Stay
Read my review - 5/5 stars
What I did
Galle Fort
Read my review - 5/5 stars

Flag of Sri Lanka  ,
Friday, December 23, 2011

Next day was gonna be our second last in Sri Lanka and last day for any sight seeing…we took early morning train back to Colombo…the ticket was SLR 200 (approx.)…the journey was exquisite! The view from both the sides was really good, full of green trees, valleys in between, small villages now and again..and a bit of shower!
We reached Colombo just before 9 AM, then as usual took 101 to go back to Priyani’s…we spent some time there, had our breakfast, met new visitors at the Priyani’s…an Australian professor and a Vietnamese lawyer…we spoke to Priyani about Galle and she informed us that the Hotel Road goes south to Galle…she told us that the next bus scheduled to Galle would be around 10.30 to 11…so we decided to take that one..

 We went to the bus stop at 10.15 and it was not too long for us to find the next bus…our feet were still sour due to climbing at Ambuluwawa, and unfortunately we had to stand in the bus for an hour or so..we found place to sit took about 3 hours to reach Galle…the city was bustling with walkers, vehicles, fruit carts and cops…a particular board attracted my attention, which was of a Spa..i was very much tempted to take a foot massage, but we decided against it…we went to the tourist center to find some information..we were told that the main Galle fort has no entrance fees and were told not to believe any touts who might come asking…the good fellow gave us a map of the fort and we were on our way!First thing we saw was the famous Galle Cricket Stadium right next to the fort…I have watched numerous matches held at this stadium and how people on the fort were able to see the match…it was an amazing sight! In addition, there was cricket practice happening and we spent a few minutes watching…

The fort itself is walled from all sides except one, which is manned by the Sea! The fort is so huge that it has an entire township within its walls..there are houses, shops, restaurants, museums and churches…

Just the walk in this place is quite an amazing…as we reached the center of the fort, our attention was taken by Anura’s restaurant and the board advertising it! Apparently, the restaurant was featured in Lonely Planet magazine, so we decided to go inside…I ordered Chicken with Salad and Abhishek ordered some Pasta…the restaurant is run by a lady called Anura  who cooks, serves, cleans and maintains restaurant…the food was so good that it was over before we even knew it…I had the famous Lion beer to wash it down…
After eating, we headed to the west side of the fort, i.e. towards the sea…here we came to a spot, which was high enough to be around two storied building from Sea level and here there was large crowd gathered to see a bunch of guys jumping into the Sea…we managed to see one guy jumping and it was scary enough..
After this, we went near a light house and clicked a few snaps there..we did not go inside the light house and now I dont remember why!

After this, we visited a number of old buildings, museums, churches, just buildings with no apparent purpose!As the city was built by Portuguese, there was clear cut influence of Portuguese Architecture…(I wrote this as I read this somewhere…i have no clue about difference between British or Portuguese or French or Dutch structures)…there was also a Dutch Church we saw from inside..

It did not take more than two hours to complete the round of the city…and by 5- 5.30 we were back to Galle Bus station…we immediately found the bus to Colombo and got into it…it left in 15 mins or so…the evening was nice and we could see the sunset on left side on our way. We reached the hotel road by around 9 PM. We decided to catch dinner before going to Priyani’s and saw one KFC outlet.. We ate our dinner at KFC (around SLR 600 for two) and then went back to homestay..Luckily there was a tennis match scheduled and hence I went to the living room to watch the match…I was hoping to meet the British couple again but they had not come back to Priyani’s by then!I had also bought a Lion Lager from super market, which turned out to be handy while watching the game!It was a nice way to end the evening…
Slideshow Report as Spam

My Reviews Of The Places I Stayed

Loading Reviews
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: