Saturday, March 24

Trip Start Unknown
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Bahamas  , Exuma,
Saturday, March 24, 2012

We left Georgetown at 8 a.m. with all the other snowbirds heading north. We had a great down wind ride and arrived at Galliot Cut at 3 pm and we were off the Atlantic and back on the shallow Bahama Bank. Denny trolled for a while then had a FISH ON. He fought the Mahi for a half hour and it got away about 10 feet from the boat. It was a beauty too. We arrived at Black Point anchorage around 5 pm. By the time we got the dingy in the water and the motor on it was after 6. Dinner at Lorraine's Cafe and it was worth the 2 hour wait. Cracked conch, grilled Red Snapper, peas and rice and mac n cheese. This is the only cafe we've ever been in where you get to pour your own drinks and keep track of them for the final bill.
Sunday, March 25 - We had a cruising meeting and French toast and mimosas aboard Asylum, a beautiful Bavaria 39 owned by Thane and Brenda. We met them in Georgetown and they just finished cruising the Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico and are headed to Charleston to have the boat shipped to England. Brenda is an English Lit teacher. Den & I went up to do laundry in the afternoon and found it closed. But the owner came by in her golf cart and opened up just for us. We met this forlorn couple in front of the laundromat and they told us their boat sunk Saturday afternoon. They also left Georgetown Saturday, but were three hours behind us. They had a 42 foot Whitby, a solid built ketch. She said they hit something in the water and it tore a gash in the starboard side and water was coming in so fast all they could do was cut the dingy down and throw a few things in it and watch their boat sink into 2,000 feet of water. She had the foresight to have packed a ditch bag, which everyone needs. It contains a hand held VHF radio, GPS, flares, water, protective clothing, boat documentation, cash and more. We felt so very bad for them both. All she wanted to do was go home, back to London Ontario. They were rescued by a cruiser anchored in Black Point who heard their distress call from their dingy three miles south of the cut they were going to go through. This cruiser left the Black Point anchorage and went to their rescue and they were then taken back to Black Point to file a police report etc.The woman told us that her biggest fear had come true and now she doesn't think she can be afraid of anything. The owner of the laundromat found them an apartment in the village for the night as they were flying to Nassau the next day. A very sobering event for us all. Thank God they were alright. Den & I think they might've hit a container from a ship. In fact a supply ship left Georgetown Saturday morning and passed us in the afternoon. It might be sometime this weekend for the next entry. We hope to arrive in Eleuthera sometime this weekend. Will update soon. All our love.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: