A unique stay that will last a lifetime

Trip Start Aug 21, 2008
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , New York
Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Me and my girl friend decided to take a two week adventure driving around Upstate New York. We turned to the net to find out where we might be staying each day. After countless searches we came across one Bed and Breakfast that stood out from every place that we booked, Turtle Dreams. Tepees, Drum circles, Didgeridoo wake up calls, and an organic breakfast sounded like just the place for us. We instantaneously gave them a call and were greeted by the friendly voice of "Sage" a friend of Fran and Paul who are the owners. Unfortunately Fran and Paul were going to be away three of the four days that we were planning on staying there but we still booked it.

As soon as my car pulled into their back yard we were greeted by two young people coming out from behind a bunch of tomato plants in their huge garden. They explained that the were only WOOFING, which means that they were working there in return for housing, and that we should go inside to get situated with "Sage". We were warmly greeted at the door by Grandma Pat, the eldest of this "Family". She took us upstairs and showed us our room. It was a quaint little country style room with posters of Fairies, shelves of crystal, and a bear foot tub. When we were all situated we returned outside to explore a little bit more. We took a stroll through the Turtle Garden, stopped to take a look at their grazing goat and then up through the woods to see the tepees. We were greeted again by the two WOOFERS and quick became emerged in conversation. Needless to say we all became very good friends and hung out together for most of our stay.

About around nine o' clock every morning we were woken up by "Sage" to let us know breakfast was ready. As we walked down the stairs we could smell the strong aroma of pancakes and fruit. We were told that the were made from flax seed and the berries were grown in their garden. Let me just say that was probably the best damn breakfast I had in a long time and every one that followed was just a good as the last.

Unfortunately in the middle of our stay I got an infection from a bug bite that I got wile we were at our first destination, Woodstock. "Sage" offered what she called her remedy for this kind of thing which was Lavender oil and herbs from the Medicine Wheel garden. I took her advice but sooner than later I had to go see someone. Our last night there, Fran and Paul came back and were planning on having a celebration for the Moon up by the tepees that night. Of course we decided to go. When we got up their there was a huge circle of people, some playing tribal instruments others showering each other with burning sage. Everyone was then asked to say a little something about themselves wile going around the circle. The night ended with some original songs by Paul with his Didgeridoo, smoking some peppermint and lavender and us shuffling back to are dwellings.

It was our last morning here at Turtle Dreams, this time we were woken up by the sound of a conch shell being blown by Paul. We made are way down the stairs to tables filled with the people we had met at the ceremony. Fran and Paul made the food this time and it was even better than the ones previous. We finally got our first taste of their homemade berry smoothies and chocolate chip pancakes. After we finished our meal it was time to leave unfortunately. Sage and Grandma Pat told us that they felt like we were part of their family, gave us a hug and told us to come back soon. I know I will.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: