The longest day yet, Day 7

Trip Start Jun 30, 2011
Trip End Jul 09, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , Missouri
Thursday, July 7, 2011

We started the craziest day yet, on our craziest adventure yet.  We set out on our adventure by checking out the Route 66 Park.  It was pretty basic, but we had a chance to actually throw the softball around (Sam and I).  It was extremely hot, but we toughed it out anyway.  After the park, we wound our way through OKC on our way to view the Oklahoma City Memorial where the bombing of the government building happened in 1995.  This was an incredible place to visit, and very surreal.  A beautiful park has been created where the government building once stood.  There is a reflecting pool which spans an entire block, bookended by two large granite walls, one remembering what life was like prior to the bombing, and an identical one at the other end symbolizing life after the bombing.  The first one had the time 9:01 on it, and the other had 9:03 on it.  The bomb exploded at 9:02am that day.  The lawn had a brass chair for every victim at the government building that day, and even smaller ones for the children that were killed in the day care center that day.  Very moving.  Lots of stuff to see there, we will have to tell you about it sometime.

After the memorial, we headed to Samantha's choice of the Museum of Osteology.  I thought, what the heck are we going to, but to my surprise, this was a really neat museum.  This is the largest private collection of animal bones in the US.  We learned a lot of things here.  They had skeletons from the smallest mouse all the way to the largest humpback whale.  We spent probably an hour here, much longer than we thought we would when we pulled up.

Off to Route 66 again.  Our first stop was at a great place called Pops.  This is a gas station, burger joint, and a large collection of pop bottles from all different places in the US.  Very interesting.  We had lunch here and everyone picked out 2 bottles of strange pop to bring home as souvenirs.  This place was also known for their very large structure in front, in the shape of a large pop bottle with a straw sticking out the top.  Very cool, wish we could have seen it at night all lit up.  Oh well.

After Pops, we went about 7 blocks to the Round Barn.  This was a photo opportunity that we could not miss.  Stephanie and the girls jumped out to check it out and take pictures, but we were not here very long.  By now, it is getting close to 4pm and we still have hundreds of miles to go to get to KC to our hotel.

We hopped on and off the route several times to make up some time, but we found time to stop at a couple of little places that make Route 66 what it is.  We also missed a few cool items, but we will have to come back and see those sometime.  We saw a Route 66 Museum in Chandler, OK, but we arrived there too late to really experience it fully, but the nice woman working gave us a quick tour of the old Armory that made up the museum now, so that was nice.

We also managed to stop and the Hard Rock Casino in Tulsa to pick up another mug for our collection (like we need anymore) and we hit a winery just at dusk.  We finished up this portion of the Mother Road around 10pm when we hit Baxter Springs, which is where we started our first leg on our way to Chicago four years ago.

Now we had to head north for a 3 hour drive to KC and our hotel, by this time, we were all tired and ready for bed (at least I was).  Stephanie drove us safely to the hotel, where we finally crashed about 1:30am, a VERY LONG day!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: