Trip Start Jul 23, 2007
Trip End Aug 23, 2007

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Italy  ,
Monday, July 23, 2007

Here we go again :) Started my day of travelling at 5:30am Monday morning. I left on time, and all the connections were fine, but I had that uneasy 'I'm sure I've forgotten something' feeling... still havent managed to think of anything major though so hopefully I'm OK! By the time I'd checked in, then been sent to a different desk to pay my 10 pound handling fee, then gone and deposited my rucksack in the 'unusual shaped' luggage sections and got through security, there was a 'final call' for my flight... oops! Rather unlike me, I actually jogged to the gate (as it said it was a 12 minute walk) but got there to discover that according to Ryanair, 'final call' means 'just about to start boarding'. Hmph. Anyway got on the flight to Genoa fine. When we landed, all the Italians clapped, which I found rather disconcerting- were they expecting to crash?

I waited 50 minutes for the next bus into the city centre, and then basically wandered around for the next 4 hours. I was somewhat regretting wearing jeans as I think it was about 33 degrees or so. Also unfortunately, all the churches and museums were closed on Mondays, so I had to suffice just looking at the outsides, which were great all the same.

Feeling rather conspicuous and tourist-like, I perched on a ledge on the Via Garibaldi, and got out my pre-prepared avocado and ham sandwiches... well I have to save money! Figured in for a penny, in for a pound, so studied my map at the same time. Incidentally it took me all of 5 minutes to get over the 'argh I can't take photos, everyone will know I'm a tourist' feeling- I'm the one who's going to have all the good photos at the end!

Lesson 1 of this summer: trainer socks don't go so well with walking boots. After calling in at a nearby pharmacy and paying 6 euros for some blister plasters, I was on my way again. After a few hours, I was exhausted by the heat (the 5am start probably didn't help either) and had somewhat run out of things to do. I looked for a restaurant, but they all opened at 7pm, and I had to get the bus back to the airport at 6:30. So in the end I went to a cafe/bar and got a glass of sangria, which they delivered with bar snacks of pastrami sandwiches and nuts! All be it dried out, and I had no idea if they'd charge any more, it was all I really needed for dinner. Turned out to be 50c. Not too shabby.

While waiting for the bus, I was mistaken for an Italian for the third time that day, but was back at the airport by 7pm. I then had a 2 hour wait until my flight, then the 2 hour flight itself... involved lots of sitting around. The girl next to me on the flight appeared to have a death wish for us all, as while we were landing, she turned on her phone and tried to make a call, dismayed when she realised you don't get signal 1000 feet up in the air. Oh and just in case we did crash, she made sure she undid her seatbelt while we were landing too.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: