Goodbye Canada

Trip Start Sep 08, 2009
Trip End Jun 07, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , New York
Saturday, May 22, 2010

I spent the morning packing (which is getting kinda old now) before setting off to cross the border. Now normally, this wouldn't be a problem, but I unfortunately have not been travelling light, so my 40 minute walk was delayed somewhat by dragging 2 giant suitcases behind me. I imagine the experience was comparable to dragging a wheelchair behind you up a hill. My bags weighed about 120lbs/50kg/7 1/2 stone... And to make matters worse, the hot weather had finally broken, and there was intermittent thundershowers forecast all day. Miraculously, the rain stopped just as I left the hostel and didn't resume until I had made it inside on the other side of the border. 

I thought my troubles were over, but little did I know.

The bus out to the airport only ran every 2 hours- so I had the option of getting there 3 hours or 1 hour before my flight. Since it was only a domestic flight, and I had already checked in online, I thought 1 hour should be enough. If the bus had got there on time, that is. I stood at the bus stop, waiting... and waiting... and waiting. In fact, I had to turn down several taxi drivers offering a $40 ride to the airport (the 2 suitcases and anxious face must have been a giveaway). I was just about to give up and get in a cab when at last the bus came round the corner. All was fine, I could still make it with 45 minutes to spare.

Until we hit traffic on the highway. Stress levels going through the roof, I sat back, resigned to the fact that I was going to miss my flight. I wondered calmly how I could contact Philippa, for whom I had no contact number and who was meant to be meeting me at the airport. I wondered if I would have to pay for the next available flight, if I would be covered by travel insurance since the bus was late. I arrived 25 minutes before my flight left, and ran up to the check-in desk just in case. To my amazement, I got on the flight. They fast-tracked my luggage, sent me straight to the gate and I walked straight onto the plane. Time-wise, that's the way to do it. Stress-wise, not so much.
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: