Our 3 day slow

Trip Start Sep 08, 2009
Trip End Jun 07, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Commercial Drive

Flag of Canada  , British Columbia,
Sunday, October 18, 2009

So on Thanksgiving itself, I went downtown to watch another film at the Vancouver International Film Festival- Mammoth, which was awesome, go and see it. I think it comes out in a few weeks maybe. But I'm glad I managed to see something in the festival- some people come from worldwide just for the film festival, I didn't want to pass up the opportunity. I then came back and started cooking the lasagne for dinner. We're all go on a weekly rotation for cooking weekend dinners, so we have to cook every 3 or 4 weeks. It was a total work of art, this lasagne, and we put it in one massive dish (serving 12 BIG portions). It was only when we tried to put it in that we realised the dish was too big for the oven... so we pushed it in as far as it would go, shut the door as much as possible, propped it up with a chair, put a metal tray and some tea towels on the top for some insulation, and stuffed a couple of teatowels in the side gaps. Amazingly, it worked! An hour later we had a delicious bubbling lasagne, as our last meal until Friday lunchtime...

As a school, we decided to to a 3.5 day fast- i.e. just drinking juice (and the ocassional Chai latte on my part). It's talked about tons in the bible, as something that Christians did all the time, so it doesn't make much sense that we never really do it. There are various reasons for doing it, but my understanding of it is that it's a sign of respect for God and a good discipline to practice. Practically, it gives you a lot more time to mull over and pray for things, and obviously you have to depend a lot more on God to get you through the hunger pangs and the chocolate calling to you from the cupboard!  It was particularly challenging to walk down Commercial Drive, where every second building is either a coffee shop or restaurant and it's amazing how much your senses are heightened when you're not eating! Chilliwagon was interesting too- giving out free food when we hadn't eaten in 24 hours. We had some good conversations though- people are so honest and so often just need someone to encourage them and tell them they're actually worth something. Sitting on the streets, day in day out, while people ignore you tends to do that to a person.

Anyway back to the fast: Day two was OK. Day three was tough. Day four, all we could think about was lunch lunch lunch. But in all honesty, I'm glad I did it- and I couldn't have done it without everyone else around me helping me through and it made me realise just how much time and energy I spend thinking about food. When really, it's just a small part of our life! And I was amazed that I was actually still standing after 3 foodless days. OK, so I had hardly any energy despite sleeping 10 or 11 hours a night, but really I coped alright. Class was quite heavy going- really theological and academic, which I do enjoy but not when I'm that tired! So I can't really summarise any main points, but it was still great.

Then at the weekend, we decided to celebrate our ability to eat food with an almighty Break Fast brunch in the morning- French toast, butter, bacon, maple syrup, icing sugar (on the first piece), strawberries, whipped cream, icing sugar, maple syrup and applesauce (for number two). Diabetics, stay away. After we'd eaten more than our stomachs could bear to hold, we waddled onto the sofa and collapsed. In fact, Heidi (from Finland) had such a sugar high and crash she had to huddle up on the couch for an hour until she stopped feeling sick. To aid the sugar sickness, I decided hair of the dog was the way forward and so went out onto the Drive to buy a selection of her favourite liquorice.

Nathan (from Canada) and Jenny were going up to Whistler on Saturday afternoon to watch his brother in a race- he's on the Canadian bobsleigh team, so they were practicing on the new Olympic bobleigh/skeleton/luge track. Heidi and I decided to join them, so we jumped in the car for the hour and a half drive up to the mountains. SUCH a beautiful drive. Even though it was cloudy/raining, you could still see the majestic mountains falling down into the clear blue lakes, snow on the mountain peaks and the forest of oranges, reds, browns and greens. I'm looking forward to doing it again in future (having just bought my ski pass for this winter!) When we got up there, it was chucking it down with rain, but we had to drive around for a good 20 mins or so before we managed to find Lyndon (Nathan's brother). We drove him up Blackcomb mountain to the start of the track, where the Canadian team were warming up, putting their bobsleighs together and psyching themselves up for the trials. It was the first of several trials this season (I think) to see who would make the team for next February. It was a really surreal experience to be there- one of those moments, you know, when you think 'how on earth did I end up in this situation?!' And Nathan explained the basics of bobsleighing so now I know at least what the difference between bobsleigh/skeleton and luge is (I wasn't that bad, quite!) We walked down to stand at one of the bends so we got the full effect of the bobsleighs hurtling past us at 80 miles an hour... pretty cool. (No pun intended.)

Then Sunday I went back to Westside church in Kitsilano, which I love. I think I'm going to keep going there and hopefully get to know people over the next 2 months. Afterwards I walked up to Granville Island Market (where I went to on my first day, remember?) to have a proper look around. It's pretty cool- a big food market, selling every artisan, foreign type of cheese, pastry, vegetable, and meat you could wish for (albeit at overinflated prices). They also have loads of small artists studios, and cool little shops so I was kept occupied until Anne (staff member from Holland) came and met me for lunch! We had a long and leisurely lunch and coffee, and then caught the bus downtown. I went on to the public library and discovered they had a book sale on- jackpot! So bought a few more books (really need to cut back soon, I have 12 now) and had a quick browse of the library itself, which is huge, like the British Library.

So that was my week!
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: