Three days in the fort

Trip Start Feb 20, 2011
Trip End Jun 10, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Frangipani Tree Unawatuna
Read my review - 5/5 stars

Flag of Sri Lanka  ,
Monday, July 18, 2011

So after our traumatic bus journey we arrived safely in Galle and hopped in a tuk tuk to take us into the fort. We liked Galle straight away with its narrow streets and old Dutch colonial buildings.  The first guesthouse we stopped at was called Frangipani, and unbeknown to us was in the "mid range" section of the Lonely Planet, somehow Dom talked them down though and we got an amazing Rs2000 room for only 1500!  We unpacked and then headed out for late lunch ending up at Pedlars Café just down the road.  Afterwards we went for a walk around the fort wall and came across a large grassy area which was full of locals mostly flying home made kites.  We stayed for a bit and got chatting to some locals and a weird solo traveller from Yemen in a smart suit.  They were all very excited to meet a Brit and an Aussie and insisted they had several photos taken with Dom.  After their limited English conversational skills had all been used up we excused ourselves and headed back to the guesthouse.  On the way we passed about 100 school children all marching along who went absolutely crazy when they saw us!  They all began jumping up and down waving and shouting hello at us, sooooo cute!  That we dined under the stars at Mamma Galle's rooftop restaurant and tucked into a MASSIVE feast of curry, rice and poppadoms.

Next day we mooched about most the day not doing a great deal.  We sorted out future flights, sent emails and drank a lot of tea.  In the evening before dinner we went for another walk around the fort and made yet more friends.  This time we stumbled across a group with a drum who were all standing around singing and clapping.  We joined them for a while and the ringleader grabbed my hand to dance with him.

The following day we decided that we really should do something so we hired a moped and head off to Unawatuna beach, 4km away, to sus out accomodation an decide whether we wanted to go there for a few days or head straight to Ella.  Half way there it chucked it down and we got absolutely soaked!  On finally arriving we ducked into a cafe and huddled shivering around a pot of tea.  With the rain still not letting up we ran across the road to the Roti shop and shared one.  After an hour and a half it finally stopped and we headed off again enquiring at guesthouses and booking oursleves into a cookery course for the following day.  The rooms were all pretty reasonable but we settled on one by the sea with a little veranda with seats.  By this point it was nice and sunny again so we chilled out on the beach for a few hours before driving back.
Slideshow Report as Spam

My Review Of The Place I Stayed

Loading Reviews
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: