Five days in Pai

Trip Start Feb 20, 2011
Trip End Jun 10, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Thailand  ,
Thursday, June 23, 2011


After five days in Chiang Mai it was time for a change so we were off to Pai a 3 hour minibus drive away.

On arrival we were greeted by the very friendly Fritz and Tor from Happy House. Fritz was an older chap who was either European or Australian, he had a complicated life story I can't quite remember where he was originally from.  Tor was a thai guy who worked at Fritz's guesthouse and he was an absolute dude who drove us around everywhere in his sidecar.  After looking at the leaflet we were sold and headed off to Happy House our new home for the next five nights.  The five of us (Myself, Dom, Nikki, Cristina and Seb) got a five bed apartment with fridge, bathroom, cable and a HUGE balcony.  On the bus we met three English people Anna, Jo and Sam who also headed to Happy House with us.

The first night we took it easy as we were all still feeling pretty ill, not fully recovered from our stomach bugs that had been lurking around since we arrived in Thailand. 


The next day we hired bikes and headed off into the surrounding area visiting the hot springs and a waterfall.  That night we went to did a bit of a bar crawl going from Reggae Pai to Bee Bop to Almost Famous to Sundown back to Reggae Pai.  It was a fun night with free mojitos, street food (miscellaneous meat on a stick as we call it!) and a sneaky lock in at Reggae.


The following morning we were all dead so the girls headed off to the swimming pool while the boys headed off on the bikes to see another waterfall.  This was the day the rains began and they pretty much haven't stopped since!  We had an amazing 2 hours of sunshine by the pool and then it chucked it down for an hour so we took cover and stuffed our faces with baguettes and potato wedges.

That night we had decided to put our culinary skills from our cooking courses to use and we rustled up a delicious Massaman curry.  With my cute new elephant apron and Sandra's organisation skills we set to work and got everyone chopping and peeling.  Within 2 hours we had two pans full of curry!!!  We had also planned to Pad thai but we had obviously overestimated quantities so decided to save the Pad Thai for the next day.


On the tuesday we went Piranha fishing (see separate blog) then headed back to make Pad Thai while Sandra and Seb got their tattoos!


Had a relaxing day and reluctantly returned our bikes that we'd got rather attached to, especially Sam!

That night we went for dinner at Charlie and Lek's then headed out for another epic bar/club crawl that took us all the way around town.  We started off at the bars near Almost Famous then headed to Bee Bop for an awful open mic night where the musicians couldn't play their instruments and the singer didn't know the tune or the words!  A Thai band were on after and they did some wicked covers.
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: