Dinosaur hunting

Trip Start Dec 31, 2006
Trip End Nov 2007

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Bolivia  ,
Friday, September 14, 2007

Our bus to Sucre didnīt like hills and at times we didnīt think weīd make it bus after bus kept overtaking us!!  After a 6 hour journey via a toilet stop behind some cacti (being very careful!) we arrived in Potosi only to find out that our bus didnīt go onto Sucre and that we had to change bus terminals.  After arguments with a spanish lady in the office as we tried to work out what was going on a lady who spoke English said we could get a taxi to the bus station or wait for the bus here.  We opted to go to the main bus terminal and lucky we did as the bus never went anywhere near where we had got off tthe first bus.  The English speaking lady put us in a taxi and once there the taxi driver pointed out the office of our bus company.  After a small wait we got on our bus and waited some more, the tiredness began to set in and was not helped by two small boys who came on the bus and proceeded to sing and pay the wind pipes badly so that we would give them some money, it was very funny but the timing wasnīt great.  We finally arrived in Sucre at 9pm and went straight to the hostel, we went to find something to eat nearby which turned out to be pizza hoorah.

After a lie in we had brekkie in the garden where hummingbirds were also having theres as well as people having Spanish lessons.  After a shower we hailed a bus into town and booked our bus to La Paz and our flight to Salta in Argentina.  We went to the cathedral but it was closed apparently it has very sporadic opening hours.  So we sat in the square to look where to go next there was a big government building with windows boarded up a visible sign of recent protests luckily for us it was all quiet now.  We decided to go and look at the dinosaur tracks that afternoon, we got on the dino truck equipped with a dinosaur head on the front and joined a lot of toursits.  We drove up a dusty hill to the quarry and were soon met by an english speaking tour guide who first took us around large models of plastic dinosaurs explaining about them and what footprints they make.  Then we went to a viewing platform where we could see thet tracks in the quarry (which is still a working one but will hopefully be a UNESCO site soon) we looked through binoculars to see them more closely , apparently they are the longest tracks in the world, it was pretty cool.  After a look in the shonky gift shop (pack of cards and postcards of the Dino models - not the tracks) and at the view over Sucre we got the bus back down chatting to some Americans and a Swede who gave us a hostel tip for La Paz.  Once back in town we picked up our flight tickets aftera small wait naturally!!!  We had a quick look in nearby Iglesia de San Francisco and a wander about before going to the Joyride cafe for tea and yes youīve guessed it, a beer as well.

The next day we tried the cathedral again but alas it was still shut as was the artesan museum that we wanted to look at so we went for someting to eat as were fed up trying to find something open!!!  Once refreshed we went to look around some churches, firstly we went in Iglesia de Santo Domingo which was open and was full of children at what looked like a choir practice.  Next we tried for the museum again but it was only just opening up so we went around the corner to look at some churches alas they were also shut.  Finally we got into the Artesan museum where you learn about the textiles they weave and actually can see some doing it although they and a tourist policewoman seemed to find it very amusing that I was taking photos of them (Stupid Gringas!).  Next we went in the Iglesia de Merced which in itself wasnīt very impressive but you could climb onto the roof for a great view over Sucre. We then went in one more church the Iglesia de Santa Monica, the church opposite it was of course closed.  Next and most importantly we went to Para ti Chocolates and bought choccies (hmmm) then went to Bibliocafe for somne typical Bolivian comida and crepes and of course beer.  On the way out we saw part of the cathedral was open so we dashed in for a quick look, it was lovely loads of white marble and flowers.

The next morning we got up early to go to the famous Tarabuco market.  We got into the centre early for the bus but as it was a sunday there was nowhere open for breakfast so we had to sit and wait in the square (with only our choccies to eat - shame) desperately trying to avoid the shoe shine boys!!  We saw the main doors to the cathedral were open so we went for a look and bumped into Kathleen.  Naturally we were on Bolivian time and the bus was late getting here and of course late leaving, then we drove for a little bit then round in a circle so the driver & his friend could fill up the tyres, nip home and get some petrol, then at the toll road we had to wait while the driver bought some coca cola and we all had to write our names on a list for the toll road!!!  Eventually we arrived at the market there were loads of colourful stalls full with all the Bolivian tourist tat you could wish for. We started to wander around with Kathleen and bumped into Sebastion almost straight away.  After sussing out the place we went for a drink and to plan our shopping mission, we bumped into the girl from the dino truck and had a chat.  After a slow start with the shopping we did get some bargains and got almost all we wanted to.  We got the bus back to the centre, a lot smoother a journey this time and went to the Joyride cafe for a beer and snack.  Then it was back to the hostel to grab our stuff and tackle Sucreīs bus station, on arrival there we couldnīt see the ticket office so I (Aimee) went into investigate, I managed to fight my way through the crowds and found the bus however still had no ticket tsk.  I managed to get directions from a spanish lady behind a random desk, located our bus company and got our tickets - mission accomplished you may think!!  After locating Sarah again (not that I (Sarah) could move that far with 6 rucksacks of varying sizes!) and visiting the baņos we went to stand by the bus but got turned back as we had to pay our 2 bolivianos departure tax before we were going anywhere!!  Soon we were stood by the bus wandering why nobody had any bags and then saw others being lowered to the bus by rope, but the lady at the office said nothing to me so we waited.  We tried to just put our bags on the bus down there but they wouldnīt let us without a tag on the bag, so with 2 minutes to go we had to rush up a flight of stairs and check our bags in making us very harrased and not happy at all.  However we did make the bus but were very hot, sweaty and harrassed and soon we were on our way to the Bolivian capital, La Paz.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: