Ireland, continued

Trip Start Sep 02, 2010
Trip End May 13, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Ireland  , Munster,
Sunday, January 2, 2011

    Sunday, December 19. The train ride to Carrie (Kerry?) was beautiful. The mountains, the countryside, the dusting of snow on the ground. Beautiful. We got to Carrie at 4pm and we were picked up by Kara's cousin Maria, who is around our age, and she took us back to her house where she lives with her mom, Angela, and her dad, John. I forgot to mention. They drive on the left side of the street, and the driver sits on the right side of the car. Crossing the streets was like playing a game. I had no idea which way to look, ever. Anyway, their house sits alone in the country, about a 30 minute drive from the train station. (I'll insert town names later, dont remember them right now). Their house is extremely close to the coast. Driving, it's about a 5-10 minute drive and then your driving right next to the water. Their house is literally at the bottom of a mountain. You could walk to the bottom of the mountain if you wanted to. It is the second highest mountain range in the UK, with the first highest on the other side of the harbor, which we go to see on Monday. Angela made dinner for us and then we went out to a pub with Maria. Most of Kara's family owns/runs a pub. Murphy's Pub in this town is run by her family but we end up at the Anvil this night because there is live traditional music. On the way, we stop to see Mary, another relative, and Coleman. Coleman has an accent so thick, it doesn't even sound like english. The Irish accent is so nice though! haha. Love it! He tried asking me something at one point and he had to repeat himself 5 times. I had NO idea what he was saying. Finally, someone else helped translate what he said. The music was great, some local guys that were friends of Maria were pretty interesting to talk to. All the young drunk guys and the older drunk adults were all interacting like they were best friends. It was fun to watch and a nice atmosphere. We had Guiness here, and that was the drink of choice for the rest of the trip. Though at some point on the trip I had Smithwicks, an ale.
    John took us for a 3 hour ride all over to show us the scenery. We drove along the coast and he drove us onto the beach. It was sooooo pretty. The mountains, the water, everything is so pretty down there. The beach was in Inse (pronounced Inch). He also to us to Ross Castle, and Killarney. It was a beautiful trip. We caught the train back to Kildare at 3:30. Stephen picked us up and we went home for dinner. After dinner, we went with Stephen back to work. He runs a pub also. We got to sit there and have a drink and see his place. It was really nice. Then, he got a taxi for us to go about 15 minutes away to the "college town" in Maynooth where we went to a club. We met a group of 8 Irish guys and hung out with them for the night. They were all a ton of fun to talk to and it was a great time. 
    The next day, Tuesday, Stephen took us to Dublin to sightsee (by bus and train). We went shopping and got to see the whole town. It has now been snowing for a couple days. And it doesn't look like its going to stop anytime soon. Dublin airport has been closing alot, and that's where we will be leaving from on Thursday. But today, Tuesday, we literally nothing but walking and drinking, walking and drinking, walking and drinking. By the end of the day, we had gone to 5 different pubs. We would do one thing, stop at a pub, do another thing, then go to another pub. It was alot of fun, and by the end of the night I was full of Guiness and no food!! The night ended at the club we were at the night before. We took a taxi back to his home then, stopping at McDonalds for dinner. And that was tuesday.
    On wednesday, we were to go to Malahide to spend the night at another relative of Kara's so that we would only be a 15 minute drive from the airport instead of an hour drive from Stephens house. We get to their house around 4 or 5 and have dinner there. After dinner we go out to, yes, another pub. Just the three of us.It was a nice chill night. We get picked up at 11:30 and head back to sleep.
    Thursday, wake up call at 5:30 and out by 6. We get to the airport around 6:25 and I still have to check a bag. Once again, I'm freaking out. My flight is at 7:30am and I'm going on to Germany alone while Kara and Shachi are going to London together to visit more of Kara's family. So, they go on while I try and get through the huge check-in lines. I meet a nice family that lets me stand with them (because I asked to cut the line since I we were cutting it very close). As they tell me not to worry the flight will probably be delayed. I get through everything and to the gate at 7:30. As they had said, the flight was not boarding yet. We finally board and as the plane is de-icing, it starts to snow. It de-ices a second time and it starts to snow/rain freezing balls of little hail raindrop things. Then it starts to snow hard. So we get delayed until 11:30. We end up getting off the plane and around 1pm, they cancel our flight. I am supposed to be flying to Berlin then taking a train from Berlin to Bayreuth, where Chris lives. Well, not making the train today that I had already had booked! Now, I'm starting to get really disappointed. It's snowing, I'm alone, and...well I'm alone. I go to the desk to get some information on what I could do. Possibly change flights/destinations/whatever! I end up talking to a really nice guy who put me on the standby list for the same flight for the next morning, December 24. All this time I'm talking to Stephen who is at home and he finds me a hotel for the night that I can take a taxi to, because the weather is bad and he lives somewhat far. Completely understandable. I get a taxi and finally leave the airport around 4pm and spend the night in a hotel. Next morning, I get to the airport at 5:45 and start standing in the "group" of people waiting on standby for their flight to be called. I wait until 6:20 and they finally call my flight. Luckily, I get on. Flight is delayed a bit, but we leave at 11:00. 
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: