North Rim, Grand Canyon, TOROWEAP, and on.
Trip Start Aug 06, 2007
6Trip End Aug 10, 2007
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Where I stayed
Left the Grand Canyon North Rim Lodge, Arizona at 11:00 AM.
- Arrived Fredonia at 12:30 gassed up and ate.
- Arrived at Pipe Springs Nat'l Mon. 2:30 PM.
- - Left Pipe Springs 3:00 PM on a two hour, 61 mile dirt/rocky road trip, which include getting a flat/shredded tire on Dave's car, on our way toward Toroweap Point.
- Arrived at Toproweap overlook at arround 5:00 PM.
Toroweap Point is on the Colorado River in the Grand Canyon at one of the most dramatic photographic places in the Grand Canyon at the Colorado River. You can stand on the edge of the canyon and look straight down several thousand feet to the river. It is also one of the least visited areas because of the difficulty getting their, but, as you can see, it is amazing and beautiful
- - Left Toroweap arround 6:00 PM for a return 2 hour, dark, 61 mile dirt/rocky road trip with NO spare tire for Dave's car. Ken almost hit cows crossing the road several times.
PERSONAL NOTE (day 3): I (Dave) drove both ways on the dirt/rocky roads (my car) to and from Toroweap Point and at the end of the 4 hours driving on these dirty rocky roads and a flat tire:
- I FELT LIKE THE ROAD WAS NEVER, EVER, GOING TO END. IT JUST WENT ON, AND ON, AND ON. AND IN THE DUST AND DARK OF NIGHT IT APPEARED TO HAVE NO END. I FELT LIKE I HAD ALREADY BEEN DRIVING THE ROAD FOR ALL ETERNITY. I FELT LIKE I HAD DIED, GONE TO HELL, AND MY ETERNAL PUNISHMENT WAS TO DRIVE THIS ROAD FOR ALL THE REST OF ETERNITY. THERE WAS NO END.
(Of course their was no physical suffering, it was actually a very memorable experience, it was just a weird, tiring, mental experience/feeling. Something to talk about for a long time.)
- Arrived at St. George, Utah and check into the Hotel at about 9:00 PM.
(all times are estimated)