Thoughts on USA
Trip Start Apr 27, 2006
37Trip End Sep 09, 2006
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
* Prices. Meals out seem pretty reasonable, esp when you see the size of them. But then they add tax and you add a tip and it's not such a bargain.
* Tipping. What a pain. Who to tip, how much etc is only the start, you have to have the right change to hand over.
* Freeways. These are absolutely the worst thing here. Great for getting somewhere quickly but the lane changing is not nice. You keep getting signs saying things like 'This lane must exit'. So you do and have no idea where you are or how to get back on the freeway again. Our rental car has a blind spot so before we can change lanes I have to do a 180 neck swivel to check. (Work for Jane later).
* Drivers. Mostly polite and considerate (exc on freeways), possibly from fear of being sued if they hit you.
* People generally. Also polite and considerate. Some of the stereotypical loud Americans but not nearly as you'd think.
* Showers are nearly always over the bath and every single one has a different way of making the water come out of the shower instead of the tap (sorry faucet).
And then there are the toilets that know when you have finished and flush automatically. Gives you quite a shock.
* My name. I can't say it right. They think I am saying Sunny.
* Grocery prices. Wine is cheap!. Very drinkable stuff for $5 and that's for 1.5 litres. Bread and cereals are expensive. Fruit and veg pretty reasonable. Really hard to find grocery stores, they are usually in a big mall somewhere. So if you are in a motel in the middle of town and want some milk for your cereal, forget it. Once you find it you will walk around it for several kilometres just to pick up the 4 things you went in for.
* The money. All the notes look much the same so have to read the numbers before handing them over - difficult for those who need their glasses to do this. Then because of strange amounts of tax added on afterwards the final total always ends in an odd amount of cents. So you will be given a great handful of tiny coins. No 50c pieces. 10c are half the size of 5c. When you open your purse the whole lot is likely to fall on the floor (from personal experience)
I'll leave a gap here to add more as we think of them.