Trip Start Dec 22, 2005
Trip End Jan 02, 2006

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Sri Lanka  ,
Friday, December 30, 2005

Wake up at 4.30 am to take the 5.20 am train to Galle.We were headed to a beach called Unawatuna which is at the Southernmost tip of the Island. This place was recommended to us by the locals over Hikkaduwa. Supposed to be less populated and has a wonderful stretch of beach.

The train was nothing like we expected - we bought second class tickets ( going by the Indian equivalent we thought a second class would be luxurious) but then - we discovered there is absolutely no difference between a second and third class. The train (a steam engine blowing huge gusts of black smoke right into your face consistently) ploughed its way through Sri lanka at a snail's place stopping at every excuse of a station. To compound this, as co-passengers, right next to us we had a family with an unstable kid, who insisted on kicking me in the shins every two minutes. That was nothing compared to what was about to follow. As perfect icing for an already disastrous ride, the kid(who seemed to have a bad case of the motion sickness), puked all over our baggage and the train and the both of us. Awesome!
And ofcourse it wasnt like we could complain or whine too much given the circumstances.. but migod were we miserable!!

Post Colombo, it was a scenic ride with the coast all along on one side of the train - but unfortunately we were just too tired and messy to appreciate all that.

Finally reach Galle around 12.30 pm and take a tuk tuk to get to Unawatuna ( about 9 kms away from Galle).

Long story short again( we did not have prior bookings), we were lucky enough to find a nice place called "Sunshine Inn" at Dalawela which is a 10min walk from the Unawatuna beach. The room seemed like HEAVEN. Absolutely clean and air-conditioned and oh wow an attached bathroom! woohoo.

It was then that we realized that we had been roughing it out so much all this while that even the basic comforts looked most appealing. :)

This place was great! Lovely people ( Mangala is the Managing Director and his number is available in the Accomodation Guide) and came really cheap at about 25 USD with Half board.

After a long long shower, head to the beach.

The actual holiday has begun..

Snack, beers, Lunch, beers.

Head back to the hotel, thinking we would nap for a while and head back for dinner. As it turns out, we went to sleep around 6 pm with an alarm for an hour later- and next thing I know is its 7.30 am the next day!!! Amazing! It seems, the spirit was willing, but somehow our bodies had just caved in from the excesses of the past few days.
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: