Machu Picchu

Trip Start Jul 06, 2008
Trip End Dec 17, 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Peru  ,
Tuesday, November 4, 2008

        We decided last week that we would start the trek up to Machu Picchu but in order to do that we had to wait for one of our police friends to come to our apartment.  We passed the time by watching CNN.   There wasn't any good news on.  About an hour later our policeman came with a taxi and some lady.  We weren't sure why this lady came with us; she just hopped in the front of the taxi while all of us were squished in the back.  We went to where all the vans are (collect TiVo).  From there it was a seven hour minivan ride.

         The road was very windy with steep drops.  Monique fell asleep in the front beside the driver and our friend.  Dad asked him to hold up her head then everyone called him tio which means uncle; we all thought it was really funny.  It was a real jungle bus ride.  We saw so many fruit trees and like bananas, mangos ect. 
We made it to Santa Maria which is a small little town in the middle of the mountains and jungle.  There was nothing much happening there except a soccer game.  Everyone was there so we went to watch for a bit but got eaten alive by mosqitios.  We found a hostel for $1.8 dollars per bed.  Still we had that 'lady' with us.  We asked our friend if she was coming to Machu Pichu and he said "yes".

       The next day at 5 am we groggily walked through the streets trying to find a place for breakfast before we started our hike.  After we ate a bit of fresh bread and started our 22 km hike.  At the 4 km point Monique was tired and Sophia had something wrong with her shoulder.  So the girls and Mom except for me and the lady who we call "princess" took the taxi.  We were planning on walking the Inca trail but couldn't because #1 we didn't know where it was, and #2 people said that it was impassable.  We found a different trail that went through the jungle. 
        We walked around Santa Theresa for a few hours to find a reasonable priced hostel.  This town was beautiful.  At about six thirty we watched all the kids dressed in costumes for Halloween and run to different stores around town. 
               The Next morning at about 8:30 am everyone was up.  We walked around town and to the market.  We met a lady at the market who loved Monique and was upset when we said we didn't go to the hot springs because it cost too much as a tourist..  She brought another lady who said a lower price but it was still too expansive.  Then we met the mayor of that very small town.  She gave us a coupon for the hot springs but it was getting too late in the day so we dicided to move on. 

              We took a van to a spot where you had to walk to get to the next town.  We walked 4 hours on train tracks which was about 12km.  We met some very nice people on our walk.  We were all exhausted once we arrived. 

           A few hours after we arrived and we were all rested up we discovered that dad had lost his bank card and we didn't have enough cash.  It was pretty exciting because we didn't know what we were going to do.  We ended up finding the bank card at the bank in Cusco.

            The next day Mom, James, Monique and I took the bus up Machu Picchu.  Sophia and Dad walked.  I was going to walk but I had a few stomach issues so I couldn't.  Machu Picchu was amazing.  There were ruins everywhere. You could also see the Inca Trail coming down from above Machu Picchu.  After a few hours we decided to go up Wayna Pichu.  They only allow four hundred people per day.  There are two different groups of two hundred allowed up.  You have to sign in and sign out; when I signed in I was number one hundred and forty-four.  As soon as we started walking the clouds started rolling in.  By the time we made it to the top it was pouring.   We stayed under giant rocks for awhile.

             We took the train back to Ollantaytambo which is the only Inca village where we found a taxi that took us back to our apartment.
Slideshow Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: