Looong day

Trip Start May 19, 2010
Trip End Jul 24, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of United States  , Utah
Friday, June 4, 2010

Every time I sit down to write this blog, I realize how much longer my days have been while on this trip. It is surprising no one has gotten sick from just pure exhaustion. We left Nevada early this morning as the lead vehicle for the first group of riders. We all met up at the Nevada/Utah border for a group shot, which I did not get a picture of because my camera died. I am going to try to steal Van's though so I'll put that up soon. After that we brought two of the riders, Nicolette and Chad, ahead to the hotel with us because they were not feeling well. When we arrived in Cedar City, after passing through the beautiful Utah red hills, we quickly checked in and dropped off the luggage. We then met up with Suzette, the local State Farm agent, and talked about the ceremony they had set up for the riders. We grabbed lunch at the Great Harvest Bread Company which is owned by a friend of Chad's. I would describe it as a fresher version of Panera. The Panini and apple bread I sampled were both delicious. We then went to the local bike shop to try to pick up some parts for Seth, but unfortunately all they had was an alien multi tool and some bike lube, not the chain ring and cassette spacers. I am praying that Seth's bike holds up on the climb tomorrow.
When we got back to the hotel, I quickly finished checking everyone in and we then took Nicolette to the urgent care. We got to the urgent care only to be told that they did not take Tricare even though she had waited three hours for a referral to that urgent care. We ended up having to take her to the emergency room which was a pretty stupid move on Tricare's part. All she needed was some follow up care for her blood pressure. It was really frustrating for her and I felt bad that I couldn't do more to help.
We then headed over to the park to wait for the riders. The park was less than a year old and had a Korean War Memorial and an Afghanistan and Iraq Memorial. The community's support was amazing. So many people came out to support the riders. We had police escorts, the patriot guard and even the McDonald's and IHOP welcomed them on their billboards. Once the riders arrived they held a brief ceremony welcoming them to Cedar City and thanking them for their service.
After that, the riders were pretty tired so I had dinner sent to the hotel and they ate in their rooms. This hotel is probably one of the worst we have stayed at so far when it comes to staff. They are very strict about how they want things done. Pretty ballsy considering we checked out 19 rooms today! They wouldn't let me cancel the extra rooms, would not let us eat in the breakfast area and just called me 30 minutes ago to remind me to remove our white board, even though it is already 10. I guess it really isn't that bad in retrospect, but it is definitely a difference compared to the help we have gotten at all of the other hotels.  
We had a staff meeting as well to figure out tomorrow's plan. It has a very steep 18 mile climb in the beginning so we are expecting another long and hot day. Thank goodness we are only two more days away from our next rest day!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: