Arrived in New York!
Trip Start Dec 16, 2010
14Trip End Dec 29, 2010
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Where I stayed
We travelled smoothly with Mattias behaving himself very well. I guess the only disappointing thing was arriving in New York and there was pretty much no snow. :-( But don't get me wrong - top of 1 degree Celsius temperature reminded me it is well and truly winter here. We took a taxi ride from the JFK Airport to Manhattan where we had a bit of a crazy driver. He got annoyed that a guy behind him was beeping for him to hurry up and when he overtook us our taxi driver didn't stop beeping until we lost the other guy. Pretty weird!
We arrived to our hotel ok, checked in, had a quick dinner and we were pretty much ready for bed. Mattias didn't sleep very well due to jet leg so we all felt tired and sleepy in the morning
Nevertheless, we are in New York and there is a lot of things to see. So we got our weekly Subway tickets and were on our way. Today we visited:
- World Trade Centre site (a lot of construction happening right now).
- St Paul Cathedral which was pretty much converted into a memorial for the people who lost their lives on 9/11.
- We took the ferry to Staten Island. The trip gave us some great views of the Statue of Liberty. We couldn't go in as it takes apparently months to get a ticket to climb the Statue of Liberty.
- We also did a tour of the New York's financial district. Then we went on Broadway and Wall St. We saw New York Stock Exchange, Bank of New York, American Stock Exchange, Woolworth Building, Trinity Church and the Federal Hall National Memorial .
- Finally we also walked as close as we were allowed to the City Hall.
I believe the consensus was that tomorrow will be a relaxing day.