Waya Lailai Ecohaven - Waya Lailai Island

Trip Start Mar 14, 2008
Trip End Mar 30, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Waya Lailai Ecohaven

Flag of Fiji  ,
Friday, March 21, 2008

Well friends this was one of the worst resorts when it comes to accommodation but it is located in a beatiful area of the Yasawas.
The bure seemed 50 years old and the bed was not very comfortable. To top it all of, there was no electricity in the whole resort due to a broken generator.  They had 2 generators but they used one to finish building something for Easter Sunday.
During first dinner despite us telling them that we are vegeterian, they still didn't have any veggie food.  So they gave us plain rice, plain spaghetti and boiled potatoes.  After they gave us that they asked me if what they gave me was enough.  As politely as I could I said NO and some veggies were ready in 5 minutes!
It was interesting to have dinner with all the others under petroleum lamp lighting.  At least we met a lot of people from Switzerland, Denmark, New Zealand, Spain, France, etc.  We had also UNO cards with us and we played one game after dinner.  We started as 3 or 4 people but soon we had 6 or 7. It was a challenge to distinguish between green and blue coloured cards under limited light. :-)  It was great fun (because VLAD won).
The following day we went open reef snorkeling.  This was the most beatiful snorkeling I have ever done in my life (see photos).  We took a boat ride to the reef (20 minute ride) which was in the middle of nowhere.  When we got there and started snorkeling - the amount of fish and coral was awesome.  We were swimming along reef sharks and we saw some rays (not sting ray).
By the time we finished we were exhausted but were totally satisfied. The rest of the day we spent bludging in the hammocks and playing UNO with the locals. Locals love UNO and were giving it a great shot.
The following day we decided to go to the "summit walk" (see photos) to see the sunrise.  It was supposed be around 30 minutes to the top but even some of the experienced hikers in the group took about 1.5 hours.  It started shaky as our guide slept in and we left on our journey 40 minutes later. As soon as we started climbing we saw that we will struggle to reach the top but we battled on and on.  The path was partly muddy and partly rocky and the only footwear we had was - thongs. As all of you would know as soon as you make the thongs wet you walk on ice.  So we pretty much went up and down barefoot.  As Roxy was still not 100% I told the other group members to continue and that we will catch up.  The guide and everybody else went ahead and we continued in our pace - but we had a companion.  A dog from the village stayed with us and pretty much guided us all the way to the top.  That was a cool dog.  We reached the top about half an hour after the rest of the group. The pain on our feet was worthwhile when we saw the view from the top.
However, nothing prepared us for the way back down.  Soon after we started going down a quick storm passed and the muddy/rocky track became a creek.  Now it was really slipperly and it took us ages to get back down.  Our feet are hurting a week on.  Nothing a few games of soccer wouldn't fix. ;-)
When we got down we were lucky as the staff set aside breakfast for us to eat.  Following the breakfast we had a long shower and inspected our scars.
For the rest of the day we were just on hammocks and lying down...
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: