A totally lazy day

Trip Start Jan 28, 2013
Trip End Mar 02, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Thailand  ,
Friday, February 8, 2013

Today was out last day in Bangkok, before leaving for Chiang Mai tomorrow and then getting on the ship next Monday. Originally we were going to go with Lucy and Chris to the floating market and the train market, but the heat yesterday really got to us. We backed out and decided to do nothing, except making a trip in the afternoon to the India emporium to get my dress. And that's what we did.

We went down to breakfast at 8 - the thermostat showed 94 degrees outside! We were happy about our do-nothing decision. After breakfast, I did a little shopping in the store in the hotel, then spent rest of the morning cleaning up emails, surfing the net, etc. Bob played on his cellphone which he used as a hand-held computer and played games, then he took a nap. Around noon time, we decided to walk out, to find the nearby restaurant where we had my favorite dessert 13 years ago. That restaurant belonged to the chef's school associated with the Mandarin Oriental hotel, and it's a 5 minutes walk from our hotel. It's called Sala Rimnam (I learned from our concierge today). For lunch they have a buffet, but we were not hungry, so we asked if we could just order 2 desserts, which usually were served only at dinner time. They were kind enough to oblige. But it took quite a bit of effort for them to understand us. The dessert finally came. It was nowhere close to what I remembered, but it was the kind of dessert. Very disappointing!

We got a taxi in the afternoon to go to pick up my dress at the India Emporium. Lucy went with us. The dress turned out to be really beautiful!! Now I just have to wear it, at least once! :-) 

I really wanted to go back again to that backpackers' night market which we were at yesterday. I googled it in the morning but forgot to write it down. No taxi driver seemed to know what market that was. I went into a couple of stores to ask, and nobody knew. So we came back to the hotel instead. Getting a taxi coming back was a struggle - they either would not take us, or asked for an unreasonable set price. The taxi fare should only be around 50 baht. Finally a taxi agreed to take us back for 100 baht, we took it. It's not the amount of the money that bothered us, but their attitude an the fact that they wanted to rip us off. The place turned out to be NOT far from the hotel at all!

Had a drink with Chris and Lucy by the river on the hotel lobby's balcony around 5, then went to a nice local Thai restaurant called Tongue Thai, across the river. The food was very good and the environment was very pleasant. The only few pictures I took were of this restaurant.

Did facetime with my sister in China to wish them a happy Chinese new year, then started packing. Will get up at 5:30 to complete everything.  
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: