A sleepy visitor calls.... putting the 'us' in USA

Trip Start Aug 12, 2008
Trip End Oct 12, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , New York
Thursday, October 2, 2008

So I got up early on Saturday (before 12) and gave the place a quick clean in prep for my guest. Clare arrived late on Saturday afternoon, the shuttle took an hour to arrive and over an hour to get here. I managed to sneak her in past the doorman! Its fair to say that she was virtually dead when she got here so after we had had a quick coffee and cake and short walk round to say hello she popped off to sleep for a bit.

Begrudgingly, she got up and we went out for dinner that evening as I had booked it in advance. We went to the Boat House Restaurant which is on the edge of The Lake in Central Park. It was a bit rainy/misty 'alla Cornwall' but the lake looked very nice actually in the streetlight. We had a very nice (and posh!) meal and it was not long before she was dropping off. So we had a little walk through the park home and she was asleep as soon as she saw the bed.

The next day we were up fairly early and now let me see if I can remember what we did... we did A LOT! Clare got her money's worth and although she has only just left a few moments ago I'm already forgetting. Once again you never feel like you have even scratched the surface here and everything is so big that you are always walking to get a train or find somewhere and then waiting or queuing and it all just takes so long and makes you exhausted. I am dead and I had no jet lag to start with.

So anyway, we went for breakfast in my local diner and she was very excited at the pancakes and maple syrup. After stuffing her face I took her to the NY museum to watch a video on the history of NY and got her oriented a little bit. Next we went down 5th Ave and looked in a few shops on the way to top of the Rock. Yes we went in Tiffany's, yes they tried to get me to buy her something and no I didn't! We also went to the Apple store. So anyway it was all a bit nasty and raining and the guy in the Rockefeller Centre said not to go today as it was awful viewing. So instead we went over to Times Square and looked around. We went in the M n' M store and bought stupidly expensive M n' Ms. I also dragged her to the music shops. I am having a bit of a mental blank on what we did next, help me out Clare.... I know that we eventually went home for a rest. Later that evening we went off to find Little Italy for some food. There was a problem with the trains and we got a little lost but I think it was worth it in the end.

The next morning (Monday; I was taking a few days off while Clare was in town) she was just about starting to feel normal I think and it was actually sunny so we ran (after some more excessive breakfasting) to top of the Rock. We had a good amount of queuing as everyone was descending on it for the good weather (it rained all week so far). They had a whole system in place and time slots and all sort of things we didn't have last time. They had photos being done and we had to (we were forced) watch the video on the history of the centre before we went up. When we got up we had a perfect view of the whole city and I was very pleased it held up for her.

When we got out we were straight on the subway and headed down to south street sea port to get on the boat trip. Before we got on board we went for a quick beer (of course) and had a look at the Brooklyn Bridge. Now we had combined it with our Rock ticket and so we had about 15 off which was excellent. We got on the posh boat and it took us all around the south part of the island with a guide giving us the info tour. Then it went off and we got pretty close to the Statue of Liberty which was great. I think this is the best way to see it because you are close but not too close as if you went to the actual Liberty Island. It fair to say we were finished for that day after all that so we went back for what was becoming a regular afternoon nap. This evening we went out for fast pizza and it was very nice. We then headed down town to a blues club to see some live music. Clare was pretty exhausted but wanted to make the effort to enjoy the nightlife as well as the sightseeing. However as she was virtually asleep I took her home before the first half was over!

Tuesday was my turn to start to feel dead. I was not feeling much better after my usual cheese omelette and coffee but we pressed on. Rome was much easier... We went straight to Central Park Zoo and saw a various array of animals as one does at a zoo. Don't ask me what, I was asleep. Clare on the other hand was quite awake and enjoyed it I think. She did buy me a monkey though and I was quite excited by this. Unfortunately it did not make a noise so I had to do that myself.

After I had convinced her I needed coffee we went on to Times Square where she had seen a place she wanted to go for lunch. They make these 'club' sandwich things which is basically an entire meal between to thin slices of bread. After we did a bit more shopping and then went back home to sleep. Its just started to thunder and I know she wont like that but hopefully she wont notice in the airport and it will have stopped before she flies. The rain is not looking fun though for when I go out in a min (yes out again). Now where was I? Yes, the saga of the planetarium last week was that actually the date was this week. So reluctantly I got up and we (running late due to my laziness) got a taxi. We were on time and it was very worth getting up for as we had a really good talk on this months stars and the projector was fantastic. Clare seemed to really enjoy it a lot as well. I did have to tell a stupid giggly couple to shut up though; I've never seen two people so shocked as them when I told them to be quiet! After the show we headed to the med school library so Clare could check-in and print her boarding pass off. Then we went and got beer and crisps and ice-cream and went and collapsed in front of the only video I had on my computer.... National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation!

So today was her last day but that was not stopping us hitting the town. Breakfast (each day breakfast got a little later by now it was 10.15am) again and I was brave and had a vegetable omelette much to the waitresses surprise! So next we headed to the Natural history museum. We didn't go around it all (I have been four times now and I'm still working on it) but we did all the animally bits that she likes. After this we went for a wander in the park and stopped at the boat house again, this time for a cheese burger in the cheaper part hehe. Then we walked on back home and Clare got ready for the shuttle pick up. It was right on time and no sooner had she gone but the rain started. It should be noted that my room was miraculously tidy once she had left, although carrying her bag down felt almost 10 times as heavy as mine! I am sure I left some info out Clare so please enlighten us on my forgetfulness.....

But there is no stopping me.... For some reason I thought booking a concert for tonight after she left would be a good idea.... Still I am tired but I have paid good money for some good seats at the opera house so I am going now to get ready..... Im just back from the opera (I'm writing this in bits you are probably realising) and it was a good show. It was indeed very posh and I had my suit on! They were good seats and was worth the money. The show was excellent and they even had a subtitles screen on the seat in front! Some busker thought it was clever to play the famous aria from the first act just as we all piled out into the subway station which I thought was funny.

I shall be back to the hospital tomorrow after a bit of a lay-in and my cheese omelette. Oh yes I'm getting complaints (literally just had a text from Daisy) that I didn't go to see David Blain, I was going to but it was all over before I even had chance! For those who don't know I am coming home a week on Monday I think it is but I shall post more details up on that as I get around to it. I would be grateful of a lift from the bus station if anyone can... Dad mentioned car insurance; didn't know you were looking but thanks and I will try and get on-line although its virtually non-existent in my room now and msn in the library is not possible. If you email me that might be best and I was thinking of paying it monthly by the way.

There are only a few photos attached to this so check back in a day or two and there will be plenty added I hope. Until next update....

Thank you for coming sweetie, hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.....
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: