Disneyland Hong Kong

Trip Start Aug 01, 2011
Trip End Aug 25, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
What I did
Went to Hong Kong Disneyland

Flag of China  ,
Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Good morning to all!

Today is Tuesday, 23 August 2011 and our trip to Hong Kong Disneyland. We slept in this morning because we aren't on a time schedule anymore.  After breakfast and a stop at an ATM, we took a taxi to the Hong Kong Train Station to catch a train to the park.  We initially thought a taxi would be the best way, but it was a good distance away and pretty expensive.  Plus we would only have to change trains once (to the dedicated Disney train).  So we gave it a shot.

The taxi ride to the station was only about 15 minutes.  Once there we went to a kiosk to buy the tickets; that took a minute or two trying to understand what to buy, but we got it figured out.  It costs 24.50 HKD each.  We took the Tung Chung Orange Line to the PINK Line Sunny Bay Station (can’t escape Mary Kay, even in Hong Kong); then got on the Disney train to the resort.  Uneventful train ride except for the pushing and shoving to get on and off the trains.  Once at the park (its 1300), I decided to buy our return train tickets instead of waiting to the end of our visit and fighting with everyone else to get them.  Smart move, when we got ready to leave, the kiosk area was jammed packed. 

We walked to the ticket booth area and picked up our tickets.  I had purchased them online a couple of months earlier.  Next was the security check and into the park.  Everything looks the same as a typical Disney.  The only exception is the park is much smaller.  We picked up a Kodak Guide Map and hit the road.  Let me stop now, just in case you were wondering; IT’S HOT AND HUMID, and yes I’M SWEATING LIKE CRAZY.  My handkerchief is soaked; I’m using a hand towel to wipe my face and head.  And we have just arrived…Ouch!  I have four bottles of cold water in my backpack.  This park is smaller than the others; it has Main Street USA, a train that circles the park, a smaller scale Magic Kingdom Castle, Adventureland, Tomorrowland and Fantasyland.  It also has a lot more restaurants (they sell turkey legs here too) and sitting areas.  We were just in time for a parade.  We found a spot with a little shade and watched it; very nice but on a smaller scale.  They have Fast Pass here as well; we used it for the Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters.  We also rode It’s a Small World (one of my favorites) and Stitch Encounter.  The other rides had long waiting times (average 40-45 minutes).  We watched a couple of performances, and before we knew it, it was time for another parade.  Our location this time was at the starting point; since Rosalind was in the limo, we were taken to a special area…great view and not one jockeying for position to take pictures.  After the parade we walked around and took more pictures.  At about 1700, we decided our fun meter was almost empty, so we headed to the closest station to ride the train to the entrance.  This also gave us a chance to see the entire park from a slightly elevated view.  Rosalind did a little souvenir shopping; bathroom break, water we headed to the exit. 

We took our last few pictures along the way out, and then caught the train back to town at about 1745.  Again, we transferred from the Disney train at Sunny Bay Station to the local train for the trip back to Hong Kong Station.  Again too, the crowds were unforgiving; pushing and shoving to get on and off the train, not allowing passengers to get off before trying to get on; common courtesy was nowhere to be found.  After the 30-minute ride (with six stops), we were back in town at the main station. 

Now the fun began; trying to exit and find a taxi (almost like our experience in Tianjin I wrote about earlier).   Here goes:  we took a lift from the train platform area to the next level up.  Here we had to use our tickets in a kiosk to exit.  As luck would have it, ours didn’t work.  So I had to go to the ticket counter and explain to a man that our tickets didn’t work.  He scanned them and saw they were current and gave us new ones to exit.  With that done we exited the area.  Now came the decision on which was to go yet up another level to the street; there were four choices and we had no clue.  Before leaving though, I saw a 7-Eleven and wanted to get some snacks (too expensive in the hotel, example a coke is 70.00 HKD I the hotel and only 4.50 HKD in this store).  So we got a few cokes, some Arizona Tea for Rosalind and butter cookies (got to have sweets) and headed upstairs to the street level.  On this level, I was able to do a final confirmation with at Cathay Pacific counter representative to make sure we could check-in here for our flight home on Thursday.  A lady explained the process to me; buy a train ticket for the airport (100.00 HKD each) first, then use it to enter a restricted area for processing.  After check-in, ride the train to the airport (about a one hour dedicated train).  All you have to do is of course keep your hand carry-on pieces.  Now back to finding a taxi.  We walked around the station looking for the taxi sign.  Along the way, we stopped and got dinner; Rosalind got a baked pork chop, rice and bok choi while I got roast pork, rice and bok choi.  Signs didn’t help either.  So we decided to go back to where the taxi had dropped us off earlier to try and get one; WRONG!  That area is for drop-off only; you have to go downstairs for pickup.  We took a lift down a couple of levels to where we had earlier started; then went back up.  We stopped in a store to ask how to get a taxi, and guess what the response was?  You guessed it, "go downstairs."  Where is this downstairs area?  I told Rosalind to stay put and I would walk and find it.  I went down the escalator, further down the escalator, then back up again.  I finally see the taxi symbol at a lift.  I went back up and got Rosalind and we headed back for that area.  A lift down had the taxi symbol; so we took it to level 2 and wa-la; taxis.  We got in the queue and were off to the hotel about twenty minutes later.  It took us longer to find the taxi than the train ride!!!

We finally made it back to the hotel at 1920, ate our take-out and hit the hay; we were both tired from the long day and heat!  Tomorrow will be an easy one; we have nothing planned other than to get ready to come home.  Maybe walk around the mall that is connected to the hotel.

Good night!

Lionel and Rosalind

NOTE:  By visiting this Disney property, we will have been to all five:  Orlando, Anaheim, Paris, Tokyo and Hong Kong.

Post your own travel photos for friends and family More Pictures

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: