Trip Start Mar 12, 2012
Trip End Jul 10, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , Utah
Friday, June 15, 2012

The next day we drove to Kodachrome State Park, named because it's where the first Kodachrome film was made. This was our first desert park, and my god, was it hot! The temperature was over 100 farenheight! I don't think I've ever been in weather that hot. But finally I had a chance to go horse riding again! I was so excited, I was bouncing up and down all the way. So a group of girls from the bus decided to go, whilst everyone else went hiking. To be honest, I did not want to be walking in that heat! We got to the horse corral, and we introduced to our guide, a pretty cowgirl called Desiree. I did my usual walking round the horses. They were all beautiful. There was one that looked really nice, but she was Desiree's horse. But I found a beautiful big mare, standing nice and calmly. I gave her lots of fuss, which she loved, so Desiree put me on her. Her name was Annie, and she was a draft cross, so was absolutely huge! We set off, and I was at the back, as Annie didn't like horses behind her. Desiree also brought her young German Shepherd with us, called Reno. He was really funny, and would race from shady spot to shady spot. The park was amazing. We saw some really cool rock formations, and the rock and sand was this orange red colour. It was so hot though, even riding. Everything was going fine, until Reno started to get really tired, and wouldn't leave the shade, We kept having to wait for him to catch up, till one point when we got really far ahead and he wasn't following. So Desiree had to ride back and find him, and put him on a lead to get him to follow. He got really tired though. We carried on, this Reno couldn't walk anymore, so Desiree had to put him across her saddle and carry him that way instead. We were making our way back, when suddenly one of the horses fell down. He stumbled, went forward onto his knees, then rolled onto his side. But bless him, he rolled slowly so the girl riding him had time to get off and get her legs out so she wasn't trapped under him. Usually horses jump up pretty quickly after they go down, but he just lay there and wouldn't move. Desiree dismounted and went over to him. She kept him calm, and tried to get his saddle off, but the cinch was stuck, and it wouldn't budge. So she got his bridle off, and gave him a few minutes, before trying to get him up. He halfheartedly tried to move, but then just flopped back down. He wouldn't straighten one of his back legs, and I was scared he's broken it, but I think he just twisted it. Eventually Desiree got the saddle off, and the poor girl was standing trying to work out what the hell to do. It was so sad, she was begging him to get up, as she didn't have the heart to leave him there. She kept saying she needed to get us back, but we told her not to worry, we were in no rush! Finally she managed to get him to his feet. Because she knew I was the only experience rider, she asked me if I would mind ridind double, because my horse was the only one that could carry two! Then she changed her mind, and put Izumi who had come off on her own horse, and that she would walk back and lead the fallen horse. So bless her, she trudged back in the blazing heat, leading the horse and her dog. But soon she was having to drag Reno as he couldn't walk. I offered to put him over my saddle, and she said she would, but couldn't because of insurance reasons. So when we were almost back, she had to leave him under a bush, because he physically couldn't. We got the horses back in the corral, got dismounted and then Desiree went back for Reno and put him in the car with the air con blasting to cool him down. Then she had to ring her boss and get him to come and help her out! So we said our thanks and left her to it, and walked back to camp. It was sooo hot, so when we got back we drenched ourselves in water and chilled in the shade. Most of the hikers were at camp anyway, as they hadn't gone far as it was too hot. That night we had Mexican for dinner, and made our last campfire as a whole group. I decided to make a bit of a drastic decision. I still hadn't heard from STA travel, so just decided to stay on the bus, do the 16 day trip, and hope they found me another flight! We had a great last night, all talking about our favourite bits of the trip, and what we enjoyed most and stuff. Then me and my friend Olga persuaded Lukas, who used to own a dance studio, to teach us some dancing! So he taught us a few Cha Cha steps, which was hilarious! It was so much fun, and we perfected it by the end of the night! Then it was a hot night sleeping in the desert, before our last day altogether.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: