More Yellowstone

Trip Start Mar 12, 2012
Trip End Jul 10, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , Wyoming
Wednesday, June 13, 2012

For our second day in Yellowstone we went to the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone. Pretty stupid name if you ask me...But anyway! On the drive there we saw loads of bull elk right next to the road which was awesome. Then we got to the Canyon, and started our walk down. You get to a point where you can carry on the normal track, or go down 'Uncle Tom's Trail'. There's a big sign warning you it's very steep and difficult, etc etc. But we went anyway. It's a series of metal steps going down into the Canyon so you can get a good view of the Lower Falls. It's actually pretty scary, as the steps are really steep, and you can see through them and see the canyon below you! But seeing the falls was so cool. We even got to see a rainbow over the falls too, which was a real treat. 

 After walking back, we got back on the bus, and stopped at our last geothermal area to check out a few more pools. That afternoon we drove to a town called West Yellowstone, in Montana, to do some laundry and have a shower! We also saw more bison and a bear on the way! Now, when I got on the bus I found out most people weren't doing the Northern Pioneer trip, they were doing a longer 16 day trip called the National Parks Loop, where after Zion (which was my last stop), they would spend another week looking at loads of other Parks. Both Jimmy and Lukas (the drivers) kept telling me they still had room if I wanted to stay on the bus... 

  I had already emailed STA Travel before I left San Fran to ask if there was any possibilty of changing my flight home, because I had a feeling I wanted to stay longer. So that was about 5 days ago, and they said they respond in 48 hours. So in West Yellowstone I borrowed a computer and checked my email, and no response. I needed to know soon if I wanted to stay on the bus. Because if I couldn't change my flight, I couldn't stay on the bus. They did have a 24 hour helpline for flight changes if it's urgent, so I rang the number.....and waited on hold for 45 minutes. Ridiculous. How was I supposed to change a flight urgently if I couldn't contact them?!? I sent a couple more emails to them and hoped they'd get in touch. 

 We then went out for dinner, and had our first meat in days! BISON. I had a delicious bison burger,  but my friends had bison steaks. It was so delicious, we were all very content that evening! Then it was time for another night drive, and time to leave the beautiful Yellowstone. It was an amazing place, I loved it there. So full of life, and a geographer's dream with all the geothermal features! Sadly I didn't see a wolf, but hardly anyone does! I'd love to go back another time and explore it some more!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: