Discover the Spirit

Trip Start Apr 30, 2013
Trip End Oct 31, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Elliott Heads Holiday Park

Flag of Australia  , Queensland,
Friday, August 30, 2013

Friday 30th August.
Well another trip to the Hospital at 6.30am. Sue had become worse through the night. We arrived at the Bundaberg Hospital at 8am. Once Sue was in the Emergency department and off with the nurse I headed back the 126k's to 1770. On the way back I passed Dave and Lynne who were heading to Bundaberg around 9.15am. I arrived back at the park at 10am and spent the next hour getting the van ready to take to Bundaberg. Dave and Lynne sent a message to say they had picked up Sue who was sitting outside the hospital in the sun.
I arrived at the Elliot Head Caravan Park at about 1pm and then set up the van. The doctors had told Sue she had gastro but we were not convinced. Lynne and Sue managed to find a doctor who would see here and made an appointment. At 2.00pm I took Sue to the doctors at Sugarland Plaza Shopping Centre for the 2.40pm appointment. Some more tests and waiting on some result on Monday meant another doctors appointment for 3pm next Monday.
Back at the park I set up the satellite dish and Sue rested. Dave and Lynne came over for happy hour and around 7pm we went in for dinner and a quite night watching tv.
Saturday 31st August.
Another day of rest for Sue with nothing planned only some shopping. About 10.30am we headed into Sugarland Shopping Plaza for Tattslotto and some groceries. On the way back to the Elliot Heads I washed Merlot at the car wash. By then it was lunch followed by the Geelong Brisbane Lions match on tv. Geelong won by one point so we went to Dave and Lynne's van for happy hour. By 6.30pm it was back to the van for dinner and a quite night watching television. Plan tomorrow is to visit the Tourist Info centre around 10am then work out what we can do.
Sunday 1 September.
This morning around 10am it was a trip to the Tourist Info centre to decide on our itinerary for the next week. From there we went straight to the only Sunday market on in Bundaberg but it finished around midday. We had a wander around and purchased some cheap fruit and Veggies. This market is on every Sunday and it is quite big and very popular. If you were staying a number of weeks it would be worth doing your fruit and veggies here every Sunday.
From here we drove to the Big Barrel which is the Bundaberg Brewing Company. We did the self guided tour which takes you through their history followed by a short film on the production of their famous Bundaberg Ginger Beer. At the end of the tour we sampled all their different flavoured brewed soft drinks and purchased three dozen various flavours. Lunchtime was calling so we drove about 10k's to Bargara on the coast for fish and chips.
Quite a very popular seaside town and because it was great weather and Father's Day the town was packed.
After lunch it was a slow drive back to the van park visiting the seaside towns of Innes Park and Coral Cove on the way back to Elliot Heads. Once back we sat around reading and relaxing until it was happy hour then time for dinner and the X Factor.
Monday 2nd September.
A trip to the pathology to drop off some samples at 9am then a look through ARB, Spotlight and BCF filled a couple more hours. On the way back to the van park we stopped in Bundaberg CBD and spent about an hour looking around. Back at the van by just after midday for lunch. Back into Sugarland Shopping Centre to the doctors at 3pm. Well the hospital never came through with the blood test results so it was off to Pathology for more sample and another 2 day wait for Sue. After heading back to the van I decided to call into the Bundaberg Base Hospital and see if we can get the results. Luck was on our side as the young doctor that treated Sue and ordered the blood tests was on duty in the Emergency Department. It still took one hour and fifteen minutes to get the results but it was good news. Everything was good and it was her iron levels were the issue and a small tablet daily will correct it. Back to the van for happy hour with Dave and Lynne but with a very strong wind blowing it was an early retreat to the van tonight.
Tuesday 3rd September.
This morning it was off at 9am for a drive to Childers and Gin Gin. We arrived at Childers and parked the vehicles in the main street. A visit to the Tourist Info Centre which was in the famous Palace Hotel where fifteen Backpackers died in a fire in 2000. Upstairs was the memorial to their deaths and it was quite befitting. Further down the main street we came upon the Old Pharmacy.
In 1894 Gaydon's Pharmacy was born and was a thriving business and often hosted young up and coming apprentice chemists.
The business was eventually sold to the council in 1987 with all the records, books and equipment still in tact as nothing had ever been thrown away. The shop has been restored to all its glory as it was at the turn of the century. The tour was quite amazing and it was like stepping back in time.
Next we had lunch in the Pioneer Park at the entrance to Childers. After lunch a visit to the Peanut Van close by saw us all walk away with many packets of flavoured peanuts.
Off to Gin Gin where we visited Solar N Sat where I purchased the latest satellite finder and Dave purchased a complete satellite system. A walk down the main street and a coffee then back to Bundaberg including a stop at the Mystery Craters along the way. These are strange crater formations that haven't been explained by the scientists yet. Arriving at the van park close to 4.30pm it was still blowing a gale. Happy hour was very short tonight because of the wind and cold weather. The warm van beckoned.
Wednesday 4th September.
Today we were off to Woodgate Beach about 50k's south of Bundaberg for lunch. We left at 10am and arrived at Woodgate Beach where we drove about two k's along the Esplanade and stopped at the end to walk onto the beach and take photo's. It was still blowing a gale and overcast making the beach a bit uninviting but was one of the better beaches we have come across. Lunch was at the Woodgate Bowls Club and was very enjoyable. Sue had a Braised Lamb Pie with chips and salad and I had Roast Beef with vegies for a total of $17.35. A small entertainment fee was payable to the pokies before we travelled back to Bundaberg. Dave and Lynne headed into the CBD and we drove to the Port of Bundaberg and Burnett Heads for a look. Back at the park it was a time to relax and catch up on journals etc. Happy hour was at Dave's tonight as the couple in the van next to them knew Lynne's Auntie Robyn in Numurkah. Daryl and Jan are both characters and it was fun talking to them. We sat around chatting until it got to cold and we all headed off to our vans at 6.30pm.
Thursday 5th September.
Headed into Bundaberg by 9am with a few things to do and a doctors appointment for Sue at 10.50am at the Sugarland Clinic. Coffee at the Coffee Club at Sugarland then the Doctors. After lunch with the possibility of staying another couple of weeks in Bundaberg we stopped and checked out a caravan park close to town. It wasn't much good so we decided to stay where we are at Elliot Heads even with it being twenty k's out of town for another week. Back to Elliot Heads then around 2pm I rang the Surgeon's consulting rooms to see if Sue was able to see him next week. We finally had some luck and Sue had been booked in to see him on Monday morning. We had to drive back to the Mater Private Hospital to fill out some paperwork. Back into town and with the paperwork in place she was now booked in for surgery the following Wednesday and then the following Tuesday 24th for the follow up with the surgeon on his findings. We headed back to the park to break the news to Dave and Lynne. With this done they elected to stay another week at Elliot Heads and would assess their next move from there next week. Nothing on for the rest of the afternoon so a bit of relax time. 
Dave put up half of his annex as it was quite windy on his site so that's where happy hour was and their neighbour Daryl came over and joined us for a drink as well. At 6.30pm it was into our vans for dinner and some tv.
Friday 6th September.
Nothing planned today except rest for Sue. I did a bit of cleaning around the caravan and re stacked the rear storage area. Next it was Merlot's turn so I repacked the rear drawers and emptied out the back and vacuum cleaned.
After lunch Sue and I drove into Bundaberg to check out the Big 4 Van park as a possible place to stay next week to be a little closer to town. On the way back to the park I gave Merlot a wash at the car wash. Around 5pm we headed to Dave and Lynne's along with Daryl and Jan for happy hour. Daryl and Jan had ordered fish and chips from the kiosk at the beach and headed off at 6.20pm to collect them. We followed a short time later back to the van for dinner and watch the footy on tv tonight.
Saturday 7th September.
Another rest day for Sue. A trip into Sugarland Shopping centre to put tattslotto on with a coffee and scone at the Coffee Club where we ran into Dave and Lynne. Lunch of hot dogs back at the van then Sue and I sat down near the mouth of the Elliot River and had an ice cream in the shade of the trees. An enjoyable and peaceful hour before heading back to Dave's van to watch Geelong lose to Freo in the 1st final. Happy hour followed with Daryl and Jan arriving then around 7pm we all headed back to our vans for dinner and watch the election results on tv.
Sunday 8th September.
Again another relax day for Sue. I spent all morning reading the Sunday newspaper and Sue did some scrapbooking. The fantastic weather has been perfect with only a couple of miserable windy days spoiling our stay at Elliot Heads so far. Only problem with the good weather is that the midgies are very active. Today they have been the worst and I have been bitten quite a bit. In the afternoon Sue and I went for a drive around Bundaberg Botanical Gardens and the Hinkler Shopping centre picking up some fruit from Coles. Back to the park and Happy hour at Dave and Lynne's van with Daryl and Jan. At 6pm it was off to the kiosk for some chips to have with dinner then we watched some tv.
Monday 9th September.
A relaxing morning until 11.15am then we headed off into Bundaberg to see the surgeon. The appointment was at 12.20pm and we waited about 15 minutes to see him. We asked the question if Sue could have the operation moved to this Wednesday and he agreed. Off to the Friendly Society Hospital to submit the paperwork then the chemist for the medicine for tomorrow.
Next we had to go to the Doctors at Sugarland to change Sue's appointment on Wednesday now that she will be in hospital Wednesday. The doctors clinic was closed for lunch until 2pm so we visited the Coffee Club for a cuppa. With the appointment changed it was back to the van for a late  lunch. About 4.30pm we walked up to the kiosk about 100 metres from the park for an ice cream before taking our chairs up to Dave and Lynne's for happy hour with Daryl and Jan. About 7pm it was back to the van for dinner.
Tuesday 10th September.
The day was spent with Sue in a cabin in the caravan park as she had to take tablets and mixtures at different times of the day for her operation tomorrow. The rush came at 3.30pm an luckily she was in the cabin and not the van. We have to be in at the hospital at 7.15am tomorrow and it is expected she will be ready to go home about four hours later. In the morning she said goodbye to Daryl and Jan who leave tomorrow. I will go to Dave's tonight for happy hour to say goodbye Daryl and Pam. It turned out to be a long night as Sue cleared everything out.
Wednesday 11th September.
Well it was an early start with both of us up at 5.20am. Sue had to be in the hospital at 7.15am. We moved all our gear out of the cabin and back into the van. I dropped Sue off at 7am and headed back to the van park. Back at the park I went for a 45 minute walk along the beachfront then a cup of coffee before heading back into Bundaberg . Five minutes down the road I had a phone call asking me to be at the hospital to pick up Sue at 10.30am. All those little jobs I was going to do didn't happen as I ran out of time. Once I picked up Sue we went for a coffee at Sugarland before going back to the van for her to rest. After lunch I fitted two new mirrors to the 4WD. They are special mirrors for towing a van.
The rest of the afternoon was spent reading and relaxing.Two people we had met on last years trip were staying in the park and they recognised our vehicle and caravan so we talked for about 15 minutes.  They wanted to have a drink with us so they agreed to come to Dave and Lynne's van at 5pm for happy hour. Gordon and Sue Parsons come from Swan Hill and we all chatted for the next hour and a half before heading back to our vans for dinner and an early night for Sue after the operation today.
Thursday 12th September.
A quite morning and at 10am we headed into Bundaberg to do the grocery shopping at Sugarland. For lunch we went to Sizzler's and had a beautiful three course lunch. The last time we went to Sizzler's was in Victoria in the nineties. Back to the park and a restful afternoon around the van.
At 5pm we had happy hour at Dave and Lynne's until it started to get to cold. The wind was gusting around 40 knots so at 6.30pm we headed back to the van for dinner and a quite night.
Friday 13th September.
Lunch at the van today then at 1pm we headed into the doctors at Sugarland for Sue's 2.10pm appointment. The doctor seemed happy with her progress but we still have to wait to her from the surgeon. I rang the surgeon's office and managed to get Sue's appointment on Thursday brought forward to Tuesday at midday.
At about 4.30 we headed off with Dave and Lynne for a drink at the local bowls club. Back to the van after Sue had won a meat raffle then dinner and then we settled in to watch the Geelong/Port game on tv.
Saturday 14thSeptember.
Dave and Lynne left this morning to travel down to Coffs Harbour to meet Tanya on the 24th September. We are waiting until Tuesday for Sue's results from the Surgeon then we will meet them in Port Macquarie in three weeks time.
We visited the Hinkler Aviation Museum this morning the had lunch at Cafe 1928 in the Botanical Gardens. After lunch we looked through the Bundaberg Historical Museum then out to Sugarlands shopping plaza for Sue to buy some wool for knitting. The wind was gusting very strong so when the sun went down it was time to move inside for the night.
Sunday 15th September.
Sue was well enough to come for a walk with me this morning. Only a short walk for about half an hour. At 9am we headed into the Sunday market in Bundaberg to buy some fruit and vegies. Next we visited Fairymead House as a part of our entry to the gardens and museum from yesterday. We left there just after 11am and drove to Bargara for a coffee stopping at a roadside stall to buy some zucchini's. Back to the van at 12.30pm for lunch and spent the rest of the afternoon relaxing around the van. I cleaned the 4WD and the caravan to pass the time. Tonight for dinner we are having veggies and some coral trout and buying some chips from the Elliot Heads Kiosk.
Monday 16th September.
Another day waiting for tomorrow for some results. After I packed up the awning and mat around 10am we headed off to Bargara so I could get my haircut at the men's barber. After a coffee overlooking the beach it was then back to the van for lunch. The afternoon was spent relaxing and taking it easy. I went for a walk around the edge of the Elliott River as the tide was coming in. It was amazing how quick it was coming in. Dinner tonight was zucchini slice and veggies
Tuesday 17th September.
Today Sue gets her results from the surgeon at midday. We headed into town at 8.30am and walked around the streets shopping. At midday we visited the surgeon and only had to wait for 10 minutes. Good news, Sue has a stomach ulcer and not cancer. It was the off to the Coffee Club for a celebration lunch. More shopping while waiting to see the doctor and he was very happy also. Back in Geelong Sue will have to under go another Gastroscopy and some more blood tests to make sure the ulcer has healed and stopped bleeding. In the meantime she will have to continue to take tablets and Iron supplements. Back to the van to prepare to move onto Hervey Bay tomorrow.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Kaye on

Sorry tohear about Sue. Can you please let me know how she is . What satellite dish have you got Ross. We have been researching them .

rossandsue on

Kaye , Sue will message you with this info as well. It is a 75cm Minimax Vast Satellite System . We have struck a few van parks without any tv signals so we are starting to use it all the time now. The more you set it up the easier it becomes. Currently we are using it and we have 109 channels with a fantastic picture . When only using the van antenna because most channels are digital they sometimes pixelate and fade in and out. Not with the Satellite. I am looking at buying a better satellite finder one that has the Optus C1 satellite programmed into it. It is handy when free camping in the middle of nowhere. Ross

Kaye on

So good to hear the good news from Sue. Enjoy reading about your travels.

Bruce Pickett on

G,day Ross & Sue, sorry to hear that Sue has not been well, it's good that you have found out what was the problem. Hope the rest of the trip is all good for you both. Have enjoyed following your adventurers and your many photo,s. We have many similar photos to yours. Looking forward to catching up with both of you when you eventually return to Geelong. Cheers and happy travelling. Bruce & Jenny.

rossandsue on

Thanks Kaye, It becomes difficult to find time on some occasions but at the end of it we can have a album made of the journal. So a bit of work when I get home as well. And yes it is great to get to the bottom of Sue's illness considering the doctor told us to head straight home at the beginning.
Ross and Sue

rossandsue on

Thanks Bruce and Jenny. Looking forward to catching up with you guys when we get home around the 1st week of November. It certainly a relief to get on top of Sue's illness and we can now move on and continue the last leg of the trip. The doctors first suggestion was to go home immediately but we thought we would have a better chance of getting to the cause quicker in Bundaberg than at home. Everyone here was great especially the surgeon who re arranged his schedule to fit Sue in for the operation two days after her first visit with him. And then fitting her in for the follow up two days earlier to enable us to move on
Thanks Ross and Sue

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: