New York Times

Trip Start Aug 05, 2012
Trip End Jan 11, 2013

Flag of United States  , New York
Tuesday, September 11, 2012

'Ello 'ello!
Well, even though I'm absolutely shattered from the whirlwind trip to New York(AHHH!!!), I am going to attempt getting the majority of it down now because I'm aware a lot of you want the run-down asap! (It's now Friday and I'm sorry for the delay, but I'll try get it all done today)

The flights to Newark airport on Thursday were pretty uneventful, but I did have the good fortune to get a row to myself on the first and to sit next to a well travelled New York local on the second, who gave me a huge list of places to eat at.  
Very shortly after getting to baggage claim (I was still waiting for my suitcase), a pair of big man arms hugged me from behind and I turned round to find my daddy, who then went to get mummy. A quick, slightly teary, reunion and then off to Doubletree Newark (woohoo free cookie again!) for the night.  I was spoiled with a bajillion packets of New Zealand biscuits, my Flight of the Conchords DVD and other bits I'd forgotten to bring, and they received birthday presents- Arizona mom and dad T-shirts and a dog bowl for Maxy, and 21st presents for some of my girls back home

The next morning we made our way to our hotel in the heart of Manhattan- Times Square! New York is crazy.  Mum and Dad were quite happy to take NYC at a leisurely pace and soak up the atmosphere, but I wanted to do everything possible in the short time we were there!  After checking in we ventured out to get 3 day attraction passes and met up with mum's cousin, Ron, and his wife, Meg back in Times Square.  We went for a cold drink (I grabbed a street chili dog too) and to the Top of the Rock(efeller Centre) to see the city skyline from above.  The long queues were worth definitely worth it! That evening we all (now joined by one of Meg's sons, a New York local) went for a boat tour down the Hudson, under the Brooklyn Bridge and past the Statue of Liberty with a few beers- I felt right at home with alcohol on water!  Next on the list was to go to a jazz club, so we headed to Iridium to see a show and have dinner. Kobe beef (especially in that burger) is delicious! At about midnight mum, dad and I headed up the Empire State Building -skipped the infamous queues and got to see the city by day and night! The New York lights are breathtaking- it is an enormous city (way to state the obvious, I know)!

The late night was followed by an early morning (a very early start for me- the time difference meant I was waking up at 4:30am- but poor mum and dad running around at my pace with not much sleep!) to get The Metropolitan Museum of Art before the masses arrived.  We found a cute breakfast place down the road before heading to The Met to see a million pieces of famous art- that was an experience I'll never forget.  New York is so lucky to have access to so much of the world's greats!  After museum fatigue set in and we'd hit the gift store, we made our way up a few blocks to the Solomon R. Guggenheim for food and more art! By the time we had finished there, I think all of our brains were hurting.  We then wandered back to the hotel via the discount Broadway ticket booths at Times Square, where we scored some cheap tickets to Mamma Mia for that night! A quick rest and recovery back at the room before the best show I've ever seen- it was so absorbing that I almost cried! Following the show was a trip downtown to a famous hole-in-the-wall pizzeria on Bleeker Street to have some authentic New York pizza- there is a reason that everyone is obsessed with it, it is so freaking delicious! John's on Bleeker is one of those places where everyone signs their names on the wall, and there are plenty of autographed photos of famous people who have eaten there (actually, same with Iridium- that place must've had a dozen or so band's old Gibsons).  We then strolled along Bleeker, just because it is Bleeker St, and were tempted by an Italian bakery, where I had the biggest (tastiest) red velvet cupcake. Yummers. Another busy day and late night followed by an early morning - mum and dad are troopers!

At 9am we went for a bike tour of Central Park, which was a great way to explore the park without getting lost trying to find the landmarks in it!  The tour guide was rather theatrical (and very loud!) and made being in crowds during his spiels.. interesting.  On the way to the Museum of Modern Art, we stopped at a place called Lindy's, opposite Carnegie Hall(!!!), to try some NY cheesecake and got massive sandwiches- mine was the height of my glass! The MoMA was so full of masterpieces, and mostly ones that I'd studied, that my brain couldn't quite process it- lots of photos prove it happened though! Another bout of museum fatigue and off to Brooklyn on the subway! We met up with mum's cousin's daughter, Cory, and her family (Josh, Trixie and Bailey) and explored the Brooklyn Botanic Gardens before heading out to dinner at one of their local spots.  After tea and coffee at their apartment we got the subway back to Pennsylvania Station and checked out Madison Square Gardens (unfortunately only from the outside). Back to the hotel room -via M&M and Hershey's worlds in Times Square- to pack up my hoard for the trip home.
Our final meal together, breakfast in Soho, was followed by a bit of clothes shopping with mum while dad explored elsewhere.  I got a silk jumpsuit and collared singlet top half off from DASH (yes, I did go to DASH and it was entirely by chance so obviously it was fate), and a pink cashmere jumper with leather starred elbow patches (Zadig & Voltaire) from a designer thrift store. I realise that seems like a stupid purchase for here but I couldn't leave without it and it'll be perfect for winter back home.  Back to the hotel via Times Square to get I Heart NY Tshirts, where I was Final, teary goodbyes with mum and dad before I got in the shuttle to the airport and a long trip back to Tucson.  The girls in the dorm welcomed me back very excitedly- apparently they like me a lot here and I was actually missed (especially by my roomie)! 

I've pretty much spent the rest of the week recovering from operating at such a fast pace on so little sleep for four days, and don't think I'm quite there yet! While I was gone the football team creamed Oklahoma State (who are ranked #16 and we weren't even ranked before the game) 59-38 and are now ranked #24, so we are all amped for the game tomorrow!

Best be off, the guys will be here soon and I've yet to caption all the photos (they have to be done, to be saved on here), which will take some time as I took very close to the total number I'd taken so far on the trip! I've also not bothered to caption the art properly because it would take SO long! (Sorry art fans, but you know I know the titles of the works really!) Much love xx

Post your own travel photos for friends and family More Pictures

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: