Very Friendly Nuku Hiva

Trip Start Feb 11, 2010
Trip End Apr 04, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of French Polynesia  , Marquesas Islands,
Wednesday, February 24, 2010

022410 Nuku Hiva, Marquesas Islands, French Polynesia: We arrived early morning and dropped anchor at the deep protected harbor off the village of Taiohae.  This is another beautiful volcanic island with mountains topping 3,700 feet high.  I took one of the first tenders to the village.  We were greeted by a colorfully dressed Polynesian woman.  She handed out small, white, scented flowers (to be worn on the right ear by single men).  A Polynesian man was drumming on a hollowed out piece of wood.  I still felt like I was moving, even on dry land!  This was the last chance to spend the rest of my Polynesian Francs.  I watched a local man carving a drum out a piece of rosewood.  He sold me a very nice wooden bowl in the shape of a fat canoe.  He told me he spent three weeks carving it out of rosewood.  Then I bought two locally designed Nuku Hiva shirts from the same family.  They let me take pictures of the artist and family after I spent all of my Francs.  As a gesture of thanks, the matriarch put a strand of hand carved rosewood beads around my neck and insisted I take it without charge.  What a nice send off from French Polynesia! (Update:  Found out later that the beads were actually Fertility Beads, given to me apparently because I had a flower on my right ear stating I was single!  She was trying to marry me off to her 13 year old daughter.  Ha!)  A local band is coming on-board at 6:00 PM to perform before we raise anchor and head to Isla del Coco (Cocos Island), Costa Rica, our next stop after 18 more days (3,300 nautical miles) of open Pacific Ocean.  I cannot believe I have been gone for two weeks already! 

We will cross the equator in a few days while heading northeast towards Panama.  They are going to have an Equator Soiree (like we need a reason to party on this ship!).  It remains very hot during the days and still around 80 degrees at night on deck.  The constant trade winds are a godsend.  I wear the flip-flops Bill bought for me almost exclusively aboard ship as anything more is too hot.  Thankfully, my cabin and ship interior spaces are air conditioned.  Living the dream!

Update:  The Nuku Hiva Polynesian 'band' that came aboard and performed at the Tropical Bar included hot Polynesian male & female dancers dressed in real grass skirts.  They all did an excellent job and were fabulous to watch.  Had to have a few Hinano beers to cool me down after that!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Bone on

Walt, It's going to be hard not hearing from you for over 2 weeks while you are clipping it across the Pacific. This was your first of 18 days straight at sea before your next island stop on March 15th. We will be glad to get your news then before we leave on the 18th for Panama City to await your arrival. The time is flying! See you! Love, Bone

Cheryl on

I've been enjoying your posts - especially the pics! I agree with Bone -- need pics of all shipmates w/ identification captions. As your Dtch mate what 'yacht' means in Dutch. Hope you get this before you are out of touch. Happy sailing! Love ya -- Cheryl

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: