Chobe National Park

Trip Start Jan 04, 2008
Trip End Jan 31, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Botswana  ,
Saturday, January 19, 2008

Our next destination is Chobe National Park to hopefully see some more wildlife.  Because it is summer, it has been proving difficult to see the animals as they spend the hot summer days hidden in the shade. The journey to Chobe is a long one; about 800 kms.   At the half waypoint we stopped in Gweta for the night.
Our campground is quite posh compared to the bush camping.  There is hot and cold running water, a pool and even a bar.  As soon as we arrive, I head for the showers.  Ahhhh. It feels so good to be clean again.  I know that I can rough it, but at heart, I am still very much a city boy!
After dinner, we head over to the bar for some drinks.   The bar is quite nice, and the bar tender tries to teach a local game involving moving rocks around a plank with holes in it.   At the best of times I am not very good at board games and in this case, the bar tender quickly shut me down.  Screw that, I am going back to my beer!
For the remainder of the evening we sat around chatting and having drinks.  At around 10 O'clock we hear singing in the distance and then the bar fills up with a choir of locals singing traditional songs.   There as about a dozen singers, both men and women.  I sat memorized as they sang and danced for an hour.  At the end, they just walked out in a line still singing.  I expected someone to come along and ask for money, but they didn't. 
The next day we hit the road a bit later for a change... 7:30 am. What luxury to sleep until 6:30!  For the last couple of days, we have been hit with a thunderstorm and a downpour each evening.  So at this point, everything is damp, and is starting to smell a bit odd.  To add to this, there is sand everywhere.  The sand is in my sleeping bad, my toiletry bag, my backpack, and worst of all my underwear.  When I get to Durban, everything is going in the laundry!
We continue along to Chobe National park, which is apparently home to 55,000 animals.  The town we are staying in  is called Kasane, near the park.   Later in the afternoon we all head out to a sunset game viewing in Chobe National Park.   The cruise starts out ok, but after a half hour, one of these daily African thunder storms bares down.   The boat has a bit of a cover, but it is not enough for the torrential rains and wind.  Having nowhere to go for shelter, we huddle together like farm animals and wait for it to end.   This is when the big nasty African thunderstorms lost their novelty.  Finally the rains stopped and the animals came out to the riverfront!  There were tones of hippos, crocodiles, monkeys, birds and lots more. But there no giraffes elephants, or lions.
Our last dinner prepared by our cook Jeffrey was a brialle, which is an African barbeque.  We had various game meats, Springbok which was quite tasty.  Over the entire trip the food including has been amazing our Jeffrey certainly prepared some tasty African food!
After dinner a bunch of us head to the bar for some drinks before bed.  The group had pretty much split into two sub groups at this point.  There is us the people who like to go out and have fun.... Then there are the other people who go to bed at eight o'clock.  How boring is that!  In my opinion there is lots of time for sleeping when you are dead!
Slideshow Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: