At One With Nature

Trip Start Apr 13, 2011
Trip End Oct 11, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Bako National Park

Flag of Malaysia  , Sarawak,
Sunday, June 19, 2011

We over slept this morning! Whilst the esky/ chilly bin is good for temperature control, it's rubbish for light! So instead of being ready to leave by 8:00am it was 9:00am instead.

The walk to the bus stop was a short one; we got there in time to see the bus drive off. Lucky for us a "gangster" looking man was lurking behind a pole and offered us a good price for a ride. After five minutes of trying to start the car we were on our way to the port for Bako National Park. We passed the bus not long after we started driving.

At the entrance to Bako NP we were met with the rudest Malay we have come across during our stay.

In our rush to get ready, we forgot the payment slip for our room. We thought it wouldn't be a problem but turns out it was. She was going to make us go all the way back to Kutching to get the piece of paper and come back again. We went out side for a swear then managed to get her to call up the park head quarters.

She ended up letting us on the boat.

On our arrival we went to the park headquarters to see about our check in with no paper work. Turns out they had a list of names and passport numbers of the guest so the woman could of checked them and made a call. 

The room would not be ready till 12:00pm so we grabbed a map and went to get some food and hung out with the Frenchies who were also staying at Bako. 

After breakfast we had good intentions of doing a fairly big walk! It took us two hours return to walk 0.8km, 1.6km in total... It was so hot and we did not have much water left so it was back to the cafe for a beer. 

We had been told that the Proboscis Monkeys had been hanging out at the beach the last few afternoons, so we waited. They came and we got real lucky and saw some monkey sex. The baby screamed the man got off and we got incredibly close to a wild, native animal. Not only did we see the sex but also the man did not put it away, monkey balls all over the tree!

After dinner we went for a little night walk to try our luck at spotting some wildlife with the Frenchies as our guide. Then it was back to our room for an early night.

Awoke early for fresh bain marie breakfast and started off on one of the loop walks. 

This time we were attempting a 5.7Km track and packed more then enough bottles of water for the three and a half hour jungle trek. 

Our mission was to complete the track in under the estimated time.

The first bit was up a tone of steps and we were dripping in sweat almost straight away, it was only 8:30am.

Once at the top the scenery changed and looked a lot like the Australian bush

On this walk we didn't see any animals just the changes in landscape.

The walk took us just over 2 hours fifteen minutes.

The Frenchies were very impressed with our time.

After cool water we headed back on the boat and bus to Kutching for our final night in Borneo Malaysia.

Burgers and beer buckets went down a treat and it was time to say goodbye to the Frenchies.

Another amazing country that we both thoroughly enjoyed and reckon we will come back to.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: